Advice on changing bathroom layout in a bungalow with concrete floor.

dssr

I may have originally put this post in the wrong section, could the mods take a look.

I’m looking to change the bathroom layout in a bungalow I’ve just purchased from A to B (see pic). I suspect the original layout once resembled B.

Will I need to break up all the concrete, or just channel it out to lay the new pipework. If so, how would I reinstate any damp course that I disturb.

Finally, the money question. If I don’t feel confident to tackle this stage of the work, what should I expect to be charged to lay pipework and relay/screed(?) the solid floor?

Thanks in advance 

Bathplan.jpg

2 hours ago, dssr said:

I may have originally put this post in the wrong section, could the mods take a look.

I’m looking to change the bathroom layout in a bungalow I’ve just purchased from A to B (see pic). I suspect the original layout once resembled B.

Will I need to break up all the concrete, or just channel it out to lay the new pipework. If so, how would I reinstate any damp course that I disturb.

Finally, the money question. If I don’t feel confident to tackle this stage of the work, what should I expect to be charged to lay pipework and relay/screed(?) the solid floor?

Thanks in advance 

Bathplan.jpg

What are the room dimensions?

Have taken tge drain  cover up to have a look? If so what's there?

Dimensions are 1.45 x 2.37 m, so not a lot of space, although there are 'tile themed wall sheets' on studwork, so may be more space when removed.

I attempted to lift the drain cover but it was stuck. I live a 90 min drive away from the bungalow, so wont be up there again for a few weeks. This work needs doing before we can move in.

I have attached a photo of the outside which shows the layout if it helps in any way. 

Bath.thumb.jpg.353806656f1969b01d6f6bb76dc24359.jpg

Edited by dssr

@Marvin 

I Managed to take a drive up and take a look.

Not sure what I’m looking at, but under the Marley cover is voila. I’m assuming this plastic pipework is a modern replacement post 1973, and joins onto clay pipe?

I’ve removed the outer access cover. Although the picture doesn’t show it, the access port is at a slight angle facing downwards.

If a line was drawn between the pipe and the main sewer, the vent pipe would be around 40cm above it?? 

Does that help any?

Drain.jpg

Indeed.  Its the amount of floor that needs to be taken up that I want to minimise.

I was hoping to put the toilet back it its original location, thus only dig up the floor in that area and reconnect it with a replacement single socket access bend. 

I'm hoping once the floor covering is up, I'll see where the floor was disturbed so I can see what changes were made.

Edited by dssr

@TonyT  That will be the route I'll take if under the floor covering there is no ghost line of previous channel work.

@Marvin The sink is to the right of the toilet, and the shower gully to the left. All three are in line with the pipe going into the chamber. So I'm hoping there is one wide channel to be found from the previous install. If not, then I'll exit through the wall into the stack as noted above, and box-in the sink and bath waste.  The Rad pipework is on the other side of the room and looks undisturbed (i.e a new narrow rad was fitted at the same time and the pipework was adjusted above the flooring to fit. I'd have expected the pipework to have been correctly altered under the floor if the whole floor was dug up.

It is quite unusual to have a shower replaced with a bath.  It looks like the wet room was put in for mobility reasons.  This looks a straightforward job.  It is hard to know if you will need to mess with the slab until the shower is out.  Get a couple of plumbers to quote.  Are you doing this as part of a larger refurb?

@Mr Punter Yes, its a major refurb. The place is a mess lol  My budget only allows for the fitting of a complete CE system, the rest I have to do. Which is a lot including digging up 48m2 of 100mm concrete :(

@dpmiller  X marks the spot on the plan for the shower gully, the waste goes out the wall to where its marked drain cover.

x.jpg

Edited by dssr