Wetroom Formers and Wastes

On 02/05/2017 at 09:38, ProDave said:

There is another part to this, slightly related, is that most of the room will have a non structural  OSB or ply deck suspended UNDER the top member of the posi joists, to support UFH pipes under the final floor. .

How did this arrangement work for you? Do you have any photos? I can't imagine how you cut the ply to easily fit in between the webs. 

1 hour ago, willbish said:

How did this arrangement work for you? Do you have any photos? I can't imagine how you cut the ply to easily fit in between the webs. 

You don't go perpendicular through the webs, you go along the joist voids ;). The reference to under, I believe, is just the physical level, and you simply attach noggins as "catchers" to the underside of the top member to create a lip for the lengths of osb to rest on and get fixed to.  

This is negated by using aluminium spreader plates. 

IMG_0004.JPG

1 hour ago, willbish said:

In my case the bathroom UFH IS within the joist space.

Bathroom_UFH.thumb.jpg.0b2ddc51bb34732f382e6849a869a2c6.jpg

OSB support "trays" held in place by bearers screwed to the underside of the top member of the posi joists.

Whern the floor deck goes down it touches the spreader plates.  I put a few dabs of sticks like on each as I laid the floor to stop "creaking plates"

The fiddly bit is threading the UFH pipe through the web where it needs o cross a joist. Ok on a small room with a short run but it would be a rel challenge doing this on a large room with a long length of pipe.

Now back to my question: cheapest place to but impey trays and tanking kis?

• Thanks 1

I have been phoning around for some prices.  For an impey 1200 by 900 tray with tile waste and 5 square metrre tanking kit:

Plumbbase £645

William Wilson £560

Plumbstore £453

All including VAT.

Still waiting for a price from TP. Jewson and plenty of others can't get them.

No reply from the 2 on ebay that I have tried.

• 1 month later...
57 minutes ago, ProDave said:

So I have one of my wet rooms in progress with the tray in place, the waste connected, and the tanking kit down.

Should I get the watering can out and make sure it is all waterproof before I start tiling the floor?

How easy was the tanking? Tips for when I do mine!

I suppose with yours, leaks will show downstairs?

On 12/02/2018 at 08:48, ProDave said:

No just the Impey water guard kit, paint on primer first, then lay the corners, joning strips then the main membrane.

That membrane is a joy isn't it :/ Dont let that stick to itself after peeling off part of the protective film.......Not good.

Excellent system overall though with it decoupling too. I didn't know about that until you mentioned it elsewhere tbh. 

Yes you have to peel just enough of the backing to stick the start of the strip down, then peel the backing as you smooth it out.

I've started the tiling today, just done the tricky bit the actual shower former which went okay.

• 2 months later...

Can anyone tell me roughly the man hours (for someone with experience) involved in fitting the former and tanking ready for tiling a room please?

I will have 4 wet rooms, 1 on the ground floor on top of the concrete slab and 3 on first floor over posi-joists.

I don't want the whole room to be waterproof, just the shower areas, which will each have will have 1 glass shower screen.

6 minutes ago, ultramods said:

Can anyone tell me roughly the man hours (for someone with experience) involved in fitting the former and tanking ready for tiling a room please?

I will have 4 wet rooms, 1 on the ground floor on top of the concrete slab and 3 on first floor over posi-joists.

I don't want the whole room to be waterproof, just the shower areas, which will each have will have 1 glass shower screen.

2 over timber and 2 on concrete? 3 and 1? Drainage in place ?

2 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

2 over timber and 2 on concrete? 3 and 1? Drainage in place ?

1 on concrete and 3 over timber, yes assuming drainage is already in place.

Also can I have UFH wet or electric in under the tiles/former?

Edited by ultramods

If you get formers which don't need to be fully supported then the ones over timber will be an hour or two a piece to install dry. 

Give a fitter time to unpack, eat and pack away, but expect two of the timber ones done in a day with the wastes connected and tested and the proprietary sealing of the trays done too.

A good bit of reading here...

and here....

and ?loads here. 

Ill add a bit more on the UTH ( under tile heating ) later ?

• Thanks 1