Mica has led to apparent defects in building blocks

Gus Potter

Have these blocks been used in the UK? Anyone know more about this?

The Irish Times..

"Muscovite mica has led to apparent defects in building blocks used in at least 5,000 homes in the northwest, causing cracks to open up in thousands of buildings. Videos posted online show load-bearing blocks crumbling in homeowners’ hands."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/q-a-what-is-mica-and-why-are-people-protesting-over-it-1.4593301

and

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49109158

What a nighmare for the home owner.

2 minutes ago, markc said:

I haven’t seen or heard of anything, then again most of the new builds are cracking and falling apart without defective materials 

You cynic! .. but you make a point.

As a bit of background I'm asking as know a good builder who is just back from Ireland. One of his pals build a 350k house using these blocks and it's crumbling.. the load bearing walls too. His pal had a surveyor round who told him his house was effectively worthless as things stand.

I'm wondering if same blocks have made their way to the rest of the of the UK.. Northern Ireland , Scotland as it's short journey or a slightly longer one if you count the ferry crossing. Another builder I know is getting some roof tiles from Ireland as no stock here... thus maybe these blocks have been creeping in?

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

Donegal and the West Coast as far as I know

Hello DP

Me too. I was wondering. It's a lot of houses that are affected. I was following the money. They must have been specified bearing in mind the economics.. we can buy something for less that will deliver a certain level of insulation.. we save money.

I wonder what the specifiers / designers were thinking then and what they are now?..

These blocks where used many years ago and now sadly are starting to crumble. A lot of peoples homes are ruined. It's a massive issue for the government of the rep of Ireland to overcome. 

It was mainly concrete blocks from one company in Donegal that had mica in them. A quick Google will tell your more than I will.

The mica effected blocks were sold not just in the republic, in many counties not just Donegal but apparently were supplied to another firm for selling on in the North during the celtic tiger.

Look up 100% Redress and follow the facebook link.

Edited by CalvinHobbes