Fire doors on a reversed conversion.

hardya

We live in a house that was originally built as a proper semi-detached house in 1910.  It has an original attic bedroom (technically three floors I think)

In 1945 it was made into two flats basically by putting a non load bearing wall between hall and stairs and adding a door.

In 2001 it was made back into the house it always was by reversing this.  If I recall, it was checked by building regs.  I know other properties converted and converted back both without building regs.

The next door of the semi detached has never been converted.

All our doors happen to always have been since buying the property big heavy half hour fire doors with fitted closers, currently detached.  The doors look awful and have all dropped because of the weight. 

1. Is it right that we are obligated to keep these and next door are not even though the properties are identical?
2.  If so, what is the reasoning?
3. What would be a real world scenario where we sold the house without self closing half hour fire doors and got into trouble? But our neighbours not.

Additionally (not really a regs question but...) struggling to see how most half hour fire doors (or replacements) that would fit would not put off a prospective buyer.

Edited by hardya

I suspect 2001 building regs demanded the fire doors on a 3 storey house.  The reason next door, untouched since new, does not need them is building regs are not retrospective so unless some conversion work is carried out that needs building regs approval, it can keep it's old non fire rated doors.

The reason the doors are sagging is poor fitting or poor frames, no reason a fire door should sag. and you can get some very nice fire doors that you would not even know was a fire door unless you unscrew the hinges and try lifting it, then you discover it is much heavier than an identical looking normal door.

Thanks so much Dave.  I wonder if you can get lighter doors but still fire standard.  The range is much smaller and cost much higher, very very hard finding a match for the size, might have to redo the frame as well.

Can you use whatever door you want for bathroom or utility/washing room with toilet?

I guess previous building regs would be part of a purchase check.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again everyone.  It seems odd that if you turn a window into a door and take down a non supporting wall you have to have building regs visit and check loads of stuff in fine detail include even door closers (in the past).

BUT if you take down a major supporting wall between dining room and kitchen with three stories above and put in an RSJ, literally NO BODY is obliged to formally check the work and sign it off! (According to structural engineer).