How to build a cheap but secure bike shed?

Adsibob

I'd be grateful for any stories of how anyone has built a secure bike shed?

I need to build a bike shed that will go at the front of my house on a concrete slab. I think I have planning permission for this as it was included on my plans, although the architect omitted it from the front elevation and side elevation drawings, which is a bit annoying, though I guess even if it didn't have permission it will be so small and low that it would pass as PD.

Don't have more than £500 to spend on materials. It needs to be lockable, secure and rain proof.

Internal size needs to have a footprint of about 190cm by about 130cm and a height of about 113cm to able to fit 3 - 4 bikes, possibly slightly wider than 130cm. So that's about 6m2 of wall, which if I use breeze blocks and render over to match the house, will come to about £100 to £120 in materials. This leaves £380 to £400 for a pitched roof of sorts (that needs to be secure) and the lockable gate, which ideally would be sliding. Any ideas how I would achieve that? 

The real security wants to be inside in the from a ground anchor fixed into the concrete base. A thick chain/lock to secure bike to it, and I'd also put in a battery powered alarm (assuming you don't have power). 

• Like 1

Is anything secure these days? With lithium powered grinders to power hydraulic bolt cutters it’s impossible to make anything secure. You can only stop the casual thief. First thing is to make it out of sight or hide it somehow so it doesn’t look like bikes are there. There are some good videos on YouTube reviewing chains etc so probably worth a watch and definitely wants to be bolted onto a concrete slab as already mentioned. Alarms are cheap these days so something than can alert you if you are in the house would be good. 

If the bikes are valuable, check with your insurer about what level of security is required. It's usually something along the lines of having locks that meet the same requirements as the front door of the house.

If they see, they can take it, I had a motorcycle nicked, with a disc lock on, the bike was retrieved, and they had broken the disc to get the lock off.

If you want a cheap shed - how about from pallets, then clad it wood or steel roofing sheets.

Yes, they will find a way to nick the bike (I saw a video this week of two lads stealing a bike in broad daylight, with people watching them use a disc cutter), but you can at least make it so it takes them time to cut through the lock, and they would have to be extra brave to stand around doing this with an alarm going off.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I need to clarify my original question.

I've already decided to do the walls out of block, so it's really about figuring out how to find a secure sliding gate and how to attach that to the blocks, and then how to build the flower bed in a secure way that also has a pitch to it.

The bike will be locked inside the shed with a fairly substantial "gold" rated lock. My "gold" rated lock requires 30 minutes with an angle grinder to break through it. Our bedrooms are just above this bike shed, so as long as breaking into it takes at least that long and requires making a lot of noise (which I imagine it will), it will be pretty secure at least when we are there.

The alternative is to buy something like this: https://www.gardenstreet.co.uk/garden-storage-c14/bike-stores-c21/trimetals-protect-a-cycle-store-p4424/s10212?cid=GBP&gclid=CjwKCAiAhreNBhAYEiwAFGGKPPzi7XQQOlvabHS0FaOPsOCl2sDW75sKQcLqGkiod7EqnPjicvVTAhoCp_MQAvD_BwE but I'm hoping to be able to build something which is slightly nicer for less money.

Edited by Adsibob

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2021 at 00:04, Adsibob said:

I need to build a bike shed that will go at the front of my house on a concrete slab.

Perhaps build a motorbike ground anchor or two into the slab somewhere or even just tie a knot in the end of some chain and put that in the concrete.

Mammoth Security Concrete In Motorbike Ground Anchor

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/12/2021 at 00:33, Adsibob said:

So I’ve been looking at Aimee police approved galvanised steel sheds made by Aasgard in Yorkshire. Any one know their products? Other competitors I should be considering?

We have Aasgard sheds. Nothing's ever been taken from them, so I guess counts as secure. Do like them.