Single Phase vs 3 Phase ASHP?

ashthekid

Are you trying to chose ASHP, or decide whether to install 3phase to the house/ashp location?

If the former, don't overthink it, just find the best deal on 16kW heat pump that meets all your other requirements.

If the latter, maybe install 3ph anyway, if it isn't much more cost. Like a boiler a heatpump doesn't last forever, and by the time you come to replace it there maybe better deals or efficiency in using a different model that happens to be 3phase.

3 Phase is already in the property so I am just wondering if there would be any extra benefits by having a specific 3 phase heat pump?

16 Kw is what size heat pump i've been told i would need to service the property.

I do have solar PV panels freshly installed and do intend to future proof myself by having an EV charging station installed.

• 10 months later...
On 12/11/2021 at 21:34, ashthekid said:

3 Phase is already in the property so I am just wondering if there would be any extra benefits by having a specific 3 phase heat pump?

16 Kw is what size heat pump i've been told i would need to service the property.

I do have solar PV panels freshly installed and do intend to future proof myself by having an EV charging station installed.

What did you go for in the end. I'm at 11.2kW so a little lower, but a 3phase is quoted to cost £500 more than the single phase of the same model. 

Like you, I will have 3 phase power either way.

Edited by MortarThePoint

I’ve gone for a 3.68kw SolarEdge 1 Phase inverter that I will target the phase that has the heat pump on to maximise efficiency. 
I’m also getting a myEnergi Eddi to divert any unused generation directly to the water cylinder. 

It was a nightmare sourcing the inverter as stocks are so low everywhere and lead times are crazy.