Concrete tile / clay

Dee

So, for those of you who have answered a myriad of questions regarding the dormer and the ongoing search for reclaimed  concrete tile and a half. 

The issue is that I have had to resort to using reclaimed Clay tile and a half... I can live with the change in thickness... What are the inherent problems of mixing the two? . Will they weather differently to concrete? 

Also lead work under valley tiles...??? 

Edited by Dee

@Dee

Sorry Dee, I didn't follow your earlier thread but the answer to your question is that clay tiles invariably weather better than concrete ones. By "weather" I assume you mean the colour of the tile changing over time. How long it would take to notice a difference would depend on the quality of the concrete tiles - some concrete tiles are through coloured and some only have the top surface colour coated.

Edit: If your concrete tiles are old then they have probably done the majority of any colour change that they are going to do so you stand a better chance of the newly introduced clay tile still matching the colour of the concrete ones in 10 years time.

Edited by Ian
  • Like 1

"I would love to use reclaimed concrete, Darling, but I have looked high and low on (list of 498 websites) without success. I need to finish this by date x so if you can find them by date y we can use them, otherwise we really need to use what we have.

Good luck !"

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dee said:

Tried that last approach but he is a perfectionist and I'm just the hired help! What's a girl to do! 

Is it more appropriate to ask what a girl can stop doing in order to persuade hubby to start doing something?

Both items could be hunting for tiles.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

Can you not use the one you have but continue your search and replace whenever you find the correct tile.

That's an option but to have to get Scaffold back, basically redo roof doesn't fill me with glee 

I'm amazed that he would even suggest it to you as we all know you are right.......... :ph34r:

I doubt you will tell the difference anyway as the way tiles weather is dependent on lots of factors including the prevailing rain etc and each of the sides of that dormer will be different in 12 months anyway.

15 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I'm amazed that he would even suggest it to you as we all know you are right.......... :ph34r:

I doubt you will tell the difference anyway as the way tiles weather is dependent on lots of factors including the prevailing rain etc and each of the sides of that dormer will be different in 12 months anyway.

I'm rarely right,  but apparently I did marry Mr Right haha. 

I shall wait for two samples of Marley tiles to arrive and I think that will put an end to the debate... Apparently there's a 14/16 week lead time on stocks! Ain't waiting that long

22 minutes ago, Dee said:

That's an option but to have to get Scaffold back, basically redo roof doesn't fill me with glee 

Could you put it somewhere that is easier to get to from a ladder or from the window when its open.

Or put it on what ever side is rarely seen. Won't be noticed in a few years once it weathers.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PeterW said:

I'm rarely right,  but apparently I did marry Mr Right haha. 

I shall wait for two samples of Marley tiles to arrive and I think that will put an end to the debate... Apparently there's a 14/16 week lead time on stocks! Ain't waiting that long