Self build spreadsheet

Dave_madl

Good Afternoon All,

I am currently starting a self build on the Isle of Mull, i am wondering if anyone has any spreadsheet templates for keeping track of spending/materials/VAT paid to help watch our budget throughout the whole build.

Many Thanks

David Maclennan

We did a self build in 2015 and I still have the very comprehensive spreadsheet I set up (I am no expert) which shows every item purchased, cost and VAT which I am happy to email to you but not sure how you would let me have your email address, unless you put it on here.  We also sent our plans to two Builders Merchants, Travis Perkins and a local one who listed and priced up everything we would need - each charged about £145 and the cost was refunded when we purchased over £100 of goods. Travis Perkins were the slowest and I don't know what the position is with them these days as I can't even get quotes for materials from them.  I found their Bills of Quantity really useful as they basically set out the materials in the order in which they are required for the build.  My own spreadsheet does the same thing.  We built a six bedroomed, detached house with integral garage in masonry with concrete filled foundations, which required clayboards due to proximity of trees and clay.  The builders merchants' BoQs will definitely help - you can decide whether you think ours would be of use.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

On 10/11/2021 at 18:38, Deejay_2 said:

We did a self build in 2015 and I still have the very comprehensive spreadsheet I set up (I am no expert) which shows every item purchased, cost and VAT which I am happy to email to you but not sure how you would let me have your email address, unless you put it on here.  We also sent our plans to two Builders Merchants, Travis Perkins and a local one who listed and priced up everything we would need - each charged about £145 and the cost was refunded when we purchased over £100 of goods. Travis Perkins were the slowest and I don't know what the position is with them these days as I can't even get quotes for materials from them.  I found their Bills of Quantity really useful as they basically set out the materials in the order in which they are required for the build.  My own spreadsheet does the same thing.  We built a six bedroomed, detached house with integral garage in masonry with concrete filled foundations, which required clayboards due to proximity of trees and clay.  The builders merchants' BoQs will definitely help - you can decide whether you think ours would be of use.  

@Deejay_2hi we are starting out self build project and would really all appreciate if you could share your spready and the BOQ please. Our project would be very similar to your in terms of size. I can send you a personal message with my email. Please let me know if possible? Thanks

On 10/11/2021 at 18:38, Deejay_2 said:

Hi Deejay,

that would be great if you wouldnt mind sending me that acroos, would be a huge help to have a look at your spreadsheet. ill send you a private messege with my email

• 11 months later...
On 09/11/2021 at 14:32, Dave_madl said:

Good Afternoon All,

I am currently starting a self build on the Isle of Mull, i am wondering if anyone has any spreadsheet templates for keeping track of spending/materials/VAT paid to help watch our budget throughout the whole build.

Many Thanks

David Maclennan

Hi @Dave_madl Hope your build went well! I've just joined the forum as about to start a house build in Perthshire. Did you get any templates you could share with me? Trying to get organised before the madness begins...! Thanks so much, Katie

On 01/12/2022 at 10:19, Katie_ said:

Hi @Dave_madl Hope your build went well! I've just joined the forum as about to start a house build in Perthshire. Did you get any templates you could share with me? Trying to get organised before the madness begins...! Thanks so much, Katie

Good Morning Katie,

I got a couple, please see attached?

unfortunately we are still waiting to get out the ground, we have finally been granted planning permission but now the  long wait for our build warrant.

Best regards

DavidMortgage Costbook.xlsx

Simplified costing spreadsheet.xls

9 hours ago, Dave_madl said:

Good Morning Katie,

I got a couple, please see attached?

unfortunately we are still waiting to get out the ground, we have finally been granted planning permission but now the  long wait for our build warrant.

Best regards

DavidMortgage Costbook.xlsx

Simplified costing spreadsheet.xls 75 kB · 3 downloads

Thank you so much David that's really helpful! Much appreciated, fun Christmas break I have ahead!!