Position of sockets etc, what are the essential requirements

So, buildings regs are nice and clear regarding heights of sockets, light switches etc. This is good.

The internet, great thing it is, is full of additional advice and recommendations... For example, there's a few sources that recommend min 350mm for sockets from corners. Is this a regulation or just good practice? I've tracked a few at 200mm, so hoping the latter.

There's also various recommendations for heights of sockets above kitchen worktops. Keeping within the 1200mm limit of course, what would be advisable?

Thanks

IMG_20211108_202017.jpg

Scottish regs have the minimum distance from an internal corner and slightly different height limits.

The important thing is these regs only apply to general purpose sockets, so you are allowed high up sockets dedicated to a tv or projector for instance.

• 2 months later...
On 08/11/2021 at 20:31, cwr said:

So, buildings regs are nice and clear regarding heights of sockets, light switches etc. This is good.

The internet, great thing it is, is full of additional advice and recommendations... For example, there's a few sources that recommend min 350mm for sockets from corners. Is this a regulation or just good practice? I've tracked a few at 200mm, so hoping the latter.

There's also various recommendations for heights of sockets above kitchen worktops. Keeping within the 1200mm limit of course, what would be advisable?

Thanks

IMG_20211108_202017.jpg

Out of interest where  did you find this diagram? I would like to use it as a reference

there's a few sources that recommend min 350mm for sockets from corners

That's not a Building Regulations requirement for regular homes, though I wouldn't normally put them closer than that anyway.

There's also various recommendations for heights of sockets above kitchen worktops

If you can plan far enough ahead, coordinate the positioning - vertically and horizontally - to suit your planned wall tiles (if you're planning to have any).

For light switches, I always have them coincide with the axis of the door handle, where possible.

7 hours ago, Mike said:

If you can plan far enough ahead, coordinate the positioning - vertically and horizontally - to suit your planned wall tiles (if you're planning to have any).

Last time I did a tiled kitchen, I left long tails on the sockets and temporarily surface mounted them.  Only when I did the tiling did I cut the final socket box holes to line up with the tiling and flush mounted them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...