2-phase mains?

Adamantium

Hi all,

Wasn't sure where else to find this on the internet then recalled the immense wealth of knowledge here.

This is not a build problem as such. My brother in law, following my advice has bought an EV.

He had booked a home charger installation and couldn't wait the two months required, so he has had fitted a 32 amp commando socket for use with a type 2 charger of mine (with a type A rcbo) and a 1m earth run back to the consumer unit.

Because we've managed to beat the two month wait, I told him to put his single phase charger installation on hold, most because of the following.

When looking to install the commando socket we noticed the incoming mains cable has a three fused output distribution clock, and two lives and a neutral. One of the lives and neutral go into his existing (not smart) meter. The other live I haven't looked at in person but I am told is no longer connected to anything.

So, herein starts my questions.

1.If he has provision for two lives, is it likely there is a third further down the cable somewhere meaning three phase is an option, or are there situations where they would bring in two? I can tell you that the only mains cable from the floor is a single cable.

I believe before he lived there the former owner may have had a dedicated electricity feeding the greenhouse and garden room which might explain the "two phase".

2. If there are three cores, I assume it's possible for the third one not to be connected at the street end. Is it a case of asking UK power networks to come and survey for a three phase installation? If so, where does the energy supply company come in?

3. Is there a dedicated three phase smart meter, or do you get three single phase meters installed?

4. Do typical residential energy suppliers - I'm thinking octopus - accommodate three phase and do you have to pay a standing daily charge per phase?

5. Is the government grant for home EV charger installation available on three phase chargers?

That's all folks. 

Thanks in advance!

6 hours ago, Adamantium said:

3. Is there a dedicated three phase smart meter, or do you get three single phase meters installed?

4. Do typical residential energy suppliers - I'm thinking octopus - accommodate three phase and do you have to pay a standing daily charge per phase?

3. There are 3phase SMETSv2 smart meters, they call them "polyphase" meters in the spec, searching this site for polyphase brings up lots of info

4. Yes Octopus do, no extra charge, but people generally find it's much longer wait times that single phase

+1 to getting UKPN to answer the rest of the questions.