Second hand solar panels

joe90

Can you have a second non-fit install without disturbing anything for the FiT?

I've a nice south facing utility which could house 6 panels, could go hybrid inverter and maybe battery, but can it all be linked into the existing panels too for energy storage? or too complicated?

I guess a DNO application would be needed too over 4kWp?

18 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

I've a nice south facing utility which could house 6 panels, could go hybrid inverter and maybe battery, but can it all be linked into the existing panels too for energy storage? or too complicated?

Fairly complicated, but no more so that diverting excess PV to a water heater.

You may need to isolate the battery system discharge until it is dark, but that is a simple light sensor.

First thing to look at is how much, and when, you actually export.  If you are not exporting much, it is not worth it.

I know jack about PV, not even where to start! I've sort of deliberately stayed away as I know a PV guru to ask and have tapped him up already for a bit of a consult should funds ever allow. I can't help thinking though that my SW facing garage roof is crying out for them. As the roof needs work anyway I was thinking in roof trays. Could an array on it's own be used as a non grid linked means of supplying a car charge point?

20200712_110755

(All I need is time & money ?)

Edited by Onoff

I export a silly amount of my generation, probably around 75% looking at the figures on my smart meter since april. Whats the reasoning behind isolating battery discharge? is that for DNO compatability? I'd like battery storage available during the day too to cover additional loading above generation if possible as part of the solution.

The existing solar array and inverter would have to remain unchanged for the FiT to remain.

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Could an array on it's own be used as a non grid linked means of supplying a car charge point?

Yes, but not easy to do I suspect because of the safety and quality of supply.

Most battery charging follows an exponential curve, so as the battery gets 'fuller', the rate of charge diminishes.

Trouble with PV is that you cannot guarantee that when you want a lot of power, it will be there, and when you don't want much, it won't be there.

This is why they are grid tied, it improves the quality of supply i.e. consistent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Whats the reasoning behind isolating battery discharge?

Yes, and if it starts discharging though the export side of the meter, you would probably be breaking the terms of your FiTs.

The Spanish had a habit of running diesel generators though the export meter at night to claim extra cash.

It does all depend on the set up though.

But if you are already exporting 75%, get some diverters.

Just now, SteamyTea said:

Yes, and if it starts discharging though the export side of the meter, you would probably be breaking the terms of your FiTs.

The Spanish had a habit of running diesel generators though the export meter at night to claim extra cash.

It does all depend on the set up though.

But if you are already exporting 75%, get some diverters.

I've nothing currently to divert it to, don't have a hot water tank, it would have to be a battery. Its something i've thought about for a long time, now electric prices have shot up its more feasible, was hoping prices may come down a bit and tech may improve, but that hasn't happened yet. My only niggle at the moment is the standing charge which has also shot up!

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

Why not fit one.  Probably a lot easier to fit, and cheaper, than batteries.

I thought about that too, but for the cost and complication it seemed a waste, i barely use any hot water anyway, like literally about £2 in gas per month's worth. For me it would make more sense to bring electric usage down. I suppose the gamble is whether future prices will drop, from past experience electric and gas tend to go up but not come back down again

A problem you will hit by keep adding more panels is you will reach the G98 limit of 3.68kW  Beyonf that you need G99 approval which has to be done prior to connecting the panels and may come with a network upgrade cost or you may not be allowed.

24 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Can this not be limited by the inverter?

Yes, by choosing one with Export Limitation software, but you still need to notify the DNO so they can come and witness this is operation / physical presence etc.

OR, just fit DC batteries and then you do not need to inform the DNO, plus I see no reason why @MikeGrahamT21 cant add them to his FiT registered installation and mop up that eye-watering 75% export :S ?

26 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Yes, by choosing one with Export Limitation software, but you still need to notify the DNO so they can come and witness this is operation / physical presence etc.

If you're connecting under G98 doesn't the inverter have to be fully type tested - i.e. using an inverter that doesn't limit export is not allowed under EREC G98 guidelines? The point of which is so that the DNO doesn't need to witness it? Under G99 witnessing is required.

1 hour ago, jamieled said:

If you're connecting under G98 doesn't the inverter have to be fully type tested - i.e. using an inverter that doesn't limit export is not allowed under EREC G98 guidelines? The point of which is so that the DNO doesn't need to witness it? Under G99 witnessing is required.

It differs from DNO to DNO, for no good reason. Some will accept written notification, but the last one we did ( 5.5kWp on single phase ) they asked to witness in person regardless.

Also, you automatically provoke this when installing more than the obligatory ~4kWp as you then have to submit a full DNO application before installing, listing the equipment ergo to ask for limitations you’d need the correct equipment in the proposal. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, joe90 said:

Just spotted this on Facebook. no idea if they are worth buying (I am having second thoughts on installing solar panels on my garage roof), any thoughts?

Are these the JA panels with micro inverters affixed? One less thing to buy ( other than the controller ) if so.