temporary habitation certificate and stairs

Scoobyrex

Hello

I am planning to get a temporary habitation certificate and move into the property to finish the build.  One of the last things I want to put in is the oak and glass stairs.  They will be expensive and easily damaged.  The stairs is a T shape.  I want to fit a used set of stairs.  Do the stairs used for temporary habitation have to fully meet the regs as they would for full completion ?  ie with balustrades every 100mm and the size of landing area on/off the stairs.

I want to fit a straight flight with horizontal cls rails.  Any chance of this being ok for temporary habitation ?

10 hours ago, Scoobyrex said:

Hello

I am planning to get a temporary habitation certificate and move into the property to finish the build.  One of the last things I want to put in is the oak and glass stairs.  They will be expensive and easily damaged.  The stairs is a T shape.  I want to fit a used set of stairs.  Do the stairs used for temporary habitation have to fully meet the regs as they would for full completion ?  ie with balustrades every 100mm and the size of landing area on/off the stairs.

I want to fit a straight flight with horizontal cls rails.  Any chance of this being ok for temporary habitation ?

Yes they do need to comply with the regs in terms of the max 100mm spacing between the spindles and if open treads then no gap more than 100mm. They also need to be able to carry the standard domestic loading stairs. The handrail height has to comply where there is a risk of fall from height. Landings need to comply where it is a safety issue but not for future stairlift installation.

But they can be rough as you like in terms of appreance. Just you can't have nails etc sticking out of the handrail etc..

It's not to onerous. From a practical point of view.. you'll have lots of folk coming to look / admire your new home.. that last thing you need is for someone to get hurt and spoil it all.

Edited by Gus Potter

Yes don't use MDF, use say 18mm OSB or an 18mm ply board as you can easily point to the load bearing capacity.

This avoids the keen BC asking questions say about B&Q MDF, what happens if it gets wet?

When you design a stair the handrail has to be able to carry a certain horizontal load and so do the spindles or in you case the ply say.

No need to paint, if ply then when you are finished cut it up and make some nice shelves in the attic / garage with it.