Would my Neighbour need planning permission

Becks1974

I live in an area of outstanding natural beauty, also within a conservation area - I have had a few 'run-ins' with my next door neighbour recently (he is not happy that we are about to build an extension, despite having got full planning permission) and he has made our lives a bit of a misery lately.  This may sound a bit petty, but I fancy giving him a bit of legal payback - he has recently ripped out all of his front garden, including a hedge which run along the entire boundary of the front of his garden to the main road, he has replaced this with a block paved, double hard standing parking, complete with retaining walls, which runs directly from the road, it does not require any dropped kerb as there is no pavement in front of his house.  He has also done some fancy footpaths to his front door, so he has basically remodelled the whole of his from garden, all WITHOUT any sort of planning permission.

My question is, do you feel he should have obtained Planning Permission to carry out this sort of work considering we are in an AONB & Conversation area - like I said, it is petty if I report him, but it make me feel a whole lot better if he does need it as he is an awful person who has made our lives miserable lately and seems to think he can do what he pleases without any consideration to others.

24 minutes ago, Becks1974 said:

it does not require any dropped kerb as there is no pavement in front of his house.

In case it matters... A dropped kerb permit is needed to give you a right of way over the verge. It's not just to lower the kerb so might be needed even if the verge is grass with no pavement or kerb stones.

Planning permission is required to pave a front garden if the surface isn't permeable. Rainwater run off is meant to be handled on site so PP is required if it causes rainwater to run into the road. 

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/45/paving_your_front_garden

Google Street View is handy for before and after photos for the planners to compare.

Edited by Temp

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/over-the-garden-hedge/over-the-garden-hedge

You might need permission from your local council to cut back or remove a hedge if you live in a conservation area or if trees in the hedge are protected by a tree preservation order. Check with your local council before you do any work. For more information see the Tree Preservation Orders and trees in conservation areas section of the planning practice guidance.

Is it just an AONb and a Conservation Area, or odd it also subject to a trust? There is a suburb near to where I live where all houses are subject to the rules of a trust, which was formed to protect the historical character of the neighbourhood. You basically cannot do ANY works, internal or external, without their permission.