Baby Bath Installation

Dan F

We've gone a ordered one of those fancy stone-resin freestanding baths from Lusso.  The only problem is that it has a 350L capacity and because the smart people that came up with the water efficiency calculation in Part G seem think we'll use it regularly and fill it up, and are going to fail Part badly.

We could delay the installation of the bath until after BC approval or maybe install the bath but not connect it to the water supply yet, but I think I've come up with a much simpler more creative solution:

image.png.b91919a96d5518e25a4bc46d3fa2e12d.png

Assuming this bath has a volume of 35L, the installation of one of these, will bring our average bath volume down from 350L to 193L.  If we install two of these, then the average bath volume reduces to 140L.  Either way, we'd be under the 125L/day and everyone should be happy, or am I missing something?  Has anyone got any experience with baby bath installation?

Alternatively. does anyone have any tips on how on how we might be able to convert a bath into a "Spa Hot Tub" (these are are simply exluded)!  Would one of these stickers do the trick do you think?

image.png.9b1fd1a2d1653f66a4a28a108ac72bfa.png

Edited by Dan F

11 hours ago, Dan F said:

Has anyone got any experience with baby bath installation?

Insofar as I get the baby bath out the cupboard, fill it up, clean the babies then empty the bath and put it back in the cupboard then yes.

Does anyone actually 'install' a baby bath?

11 hours ago, Dan F said:

...  Has anyone got any experience with baby bath installation? ...

We used a washing up bowl. Sorry, but there it is.  Float it in your 350 litre swimming pool when you have a bath.

You could manufacture a line of baby baths for those of us with first world problems such as this : how about a submarine-shaped baby bath, or a diving bell shaped version of the same thing? 

And we've all got a jug now haven't we....

A mother was washing her baby one night
The youngest of ten and a delicate mite
The mother was poor and the baby was thin
'Twas naught but an skeleton covered with skin
The mother turned 'round for a soap off the rack
She was only a moment but when she turned back
Her baby had gone, and in anguish she cried
"Oh, where has my baby gone?", the angels replied
Oh, your baby has gone down the plug hole
Oh, your baby has gone down the plug
The poor little thing was so skinny and thin
He should have been washed in a jug, in a jug

I wish I could attribute the author, but for the life of me I can't remember. Apologies, therefore.

7 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

You could just do it properly and fit the right size bath.

The whole water efficiency thing so abritary though, that it seems rather silly to get a small bath to comply!

7 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

You can get kits to add bubbles to your tub, and other body parts.

https://www.whirlpoolexpress.co.uk/insitu.htm

Yeah, this is another option, but building regs doesn't specify what a "Spa Hot Tub" is.  Aside from it having bubbles, it might need to be left full ?

7 hours ago, jamieled said:

Insofar as I get the baby bath out the cupboard, fill it up, clean the babies then empty the bath and put it back in the cupboard then yes.

Does anyone actually 'install' a baby bath?

Question was tongue in cheek.  Just musing over the imaginative, and potentially valid, workarounds for water efficency calcs.

7 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

350 litre swimming pool

Thats another option I didn't think about!  Do away with the bath and build a swimming pool instead.   (uses lot more water.. but passes regs ? )

14 minutes ago, Dan F said:

whole water efficiency thing so abritary though, that it seems rather silly to get a small bath to comply

Try paying 8 quid a cubic metre for water and waste.

That makes it a lot less arbitrary.

Then watch up country folks let their dogs shit on the beach, which I pay to keep clean.

Give people 40lt of 40⁰C a day.

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Try paying 8 quid a cubic metre for water and waste.

That makes it a lot less arbitrary.

Then watch up country folks let their dogs shit on the beach, which I pay to keep clean.

Give people 40lt of 40⁰C a day.

I'm all for not wasting water. it's the method used to calculate water efficiency that is arbitrary because it make assumptions about how often you bath and how much you fill the bath, while almost completely ignoring water use for irrigation, car washing, swimming pools and hot tubs etc.

I actually don't think BCO looked in our main bathroom, the size and depth of the bath may have been a concern to them if they did,  But the reality is it gets used once in a blue moon, most of us shower normally, so it's size is pretty irrelevant. It was offered to us by another local builder at half price as he had bought it and his SWMBO had "changed her mind"

1 hour ago, Dan F said:

I'm all for not wasting water. it's the method used to calculate water efficiency that is arbitrary because it make assumptions about how often you bath and how much you fill the bath, while almost completely ignoring water use for irrigation, car washing, swimming pools and hot tubs etc.

It is set for an average household, not an individual one.

They do surveys for this sort of thing. It is very far from arbitrary.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

the reality is it gets used once in a blue moon, most of us shower normally,

Same here.

so it's size is pretty irrelevant.

It is relevant though because the average person bathes 20% of the time and fills the bath halfway before getting in, and that's what the regs are based on.

I actually don't think BCO looked in our main bathroom

I don't think BCO's will go round and check this, they they do want the paperwork though.  What did your paperwork declare?

Quick question..

For domestic houses do we not look at the number of bedrooms first.. then jump to the British Waterways flows and loads guidance and this gives us the flows.. and we use this to design the drains and the water usage.

Now I could have a bathroom with two baths, maybe three all in the same room.. but the flows are based on the number of folk that could be in the house and this is dictated by the "normal occupancy" for domestic purpose and this is derived from the number of bedrooms?

To be pedantic.. you fit a new kitchen with and island unit. In the island you have a tiny sink for tipping out the gin you can't finish, you have another sink for day to day stuff then in the corner you have one of these massive deep 1960's 700mm deep sinks with a mangle over as you still like to do all you washing by hand and that sink holds the same amount of water as this baby bath.

Now the folk that wrote the regs know / hope that it is uncommon that you may be.. so drunk to the extent that you are chucking out your night cap / washing the dishes / and doing a last hand wash all at the same time before you hit the sack.

On 04/11/2021 at 22:19, Dan F said:

or am I missing something? 

Dan F .. hope this helps.

8 hours ago, Dan F said:
11 hours ago, ProDave said:

the reality is it gets used once in a blue moon, most of us shower normally,

Same here.

I am the opposite.  I don't like showers much (maybe a reminder that I went though the British Public School system), so have a bath.

Has been know to have 3 in one day.

My bath is too small.

50 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

My bath is too small.

A "normal" sized bath with a normal sized occupant, some part of your body is out of the water, e.g if you lie down it will be your knees.

SWMBO had the requirement that it must be possible to submerge your entire body in the bath.

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

SWMBO had the requirement that it must be possible to submerge your entire body in the bath.

I am with her on that.  Should be able to float without touching the side.

Will just have to use the harbour until I have a large enough house.

• Haha 1