It's not very warm let's light the fire

JohnMo

Nice!  6C outside here.  Lit the stove a little while ago, and we're just reaching 26C now.  Mrs Roundtuit is complaining its too warm, and the dog's thinking about moving to another room.  Me?  Shorts and T-shirt and a warm glow from the thought of the electric I'm saving. Better throttle it down a bit now though...

Today a few scraps/ off cuts from the build.  Next trees we cut down a year or so ago, just need to chop it up, and build somewhere to store it, so out with the huge store of pallets we now have and build a log store

19 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

What type of wood are you guys burning?

Mainly Ash from pollarding a few trees 18 months ago, and some small stuff from a fallen birch.  Just about finished the Siberian larch offcuts from cladding 2 yrs ago; made great kindling.

I agree on the Siberian larch kindling, had a supply of this after finishing. I'm too much of a hoarder for burning bigger bits.

I'm burning mostly spruce here and some alder as well.

I'm heading into the second winter with just heating the house with home grown wood. 

• Like 1

We are on oak logs from a local pro tree fella this winter, not unusual, and we season them, after splitting, for a year in our woodshed then stack them by the front door ready for use. Next years are being delivered tomorrow. If we have to fell a tree here we always log half of it and leave the other half as log piles to encourage the wildlife. Outside temp is 7.6 right now but think it will be a bit cooler over night, one log burner running very low. 

• Like 1

When done, and the demo wood has been used,  we will have any amount of abandoned branches in the nearby felled commercial forests, but it is probably too tarry for the only wood in the burner.

There is a little area of woodland but it isn't far off being natural so don't want to touch that, including the fallen trees that are full of oozy life.

Any advice on pollarding? If we were to plant soon, what trees should we use?  Sand underneath for 1-2 m then probably  rock.