Whole House HVAC & Plumbing Design

Wheelnut

Hi,

I'm not sure is this the right section to post this in? I'm looking for a designer to design the heating, plumbing and ventilation system for our new build. I have done a google search but have not had much luck, and would prefer to get someone from a recommendation with previous experience of using the company.

A bit about the build: The site is on a hill rising from front to back, we are putting in an integrated basement garage/workshop (~250m2) that will have the opening at the front that we can drive in level from the road level. 

The integrated basement garage will be constructed from reinforced concrete, with insulation and facing brick to match the existing on the exposed front face section.

The House itself superstructure (~260m2) construction fabric is facing brick, insulation (150mm Xtratherm CavityTherm PIR) and block. The roof will be concrete tiles to match the existing on the road.

I don't know whether to go Gas or ASHP. I'm not exactly sold on ASHPs yet, but with gas prices only going one way, the decision is swaying a bit. There is a good insulation in the house. Want zoned CH for GF and FF. UFH for the GF and FF Bathrooms, with Rads covering the rest of the FF.

I like the idea of having cooling in the summer for a few rooms, so capturing this in the design now with locating some FCUs is what I am thinking. I'm not sure about MVHR either.

For the garage/workshop I want to have the option to control humidity, ventilate it via fresh air supply, and provide smoke/dust extract ductwork.

Does anyone know a designer that could design this?

Thanks

If you want a turn-key design and specs for someone to cost/ build from, you'll need an MEP consultant with relevant experience. Often the fees are such that this doesn't stack up on a domestic scale and each trade is left to tell you 'what they think is best' an you or the builder try and coordinate it all together. Things like MVHR and UFH design are often designed by the supplier anyway so you could cut out the middle man and go direct to them for that. Plumbing is rarely designed to install level on domestic jobs- more where the outlets are and let the trade get on with joining the dots. Lights and sockets are often agreed (by you) with the architect and left to the sparky to string together. The key is remembering all the things that need power supplies!

I don't honestly know any domestic scale consultants but they must exist. Look for smaller firms where engineers have set up on their own after leaving one of the 'big' consultancies. Unless your build is in the multiple £M range in which case go straight to one of the big boys.

Can't your architect recommend someone they've worked with?

In our case we had a bit of a mix:

M&E Spec:  We used a consultant (same people we are using for passive house) for mechanical spec based on requirements.  This included heating/cooling demand calculations and recommended heating/cooling strategies as well as ventilation approach etc.  This also covered gas vs. GSHP vs. ASHP etc.

UFH Design: Timber frame supplier designed layout this but I validated this, and proposed increased 200mm spacing, using the heat loss figures in M&E spec and a LoopCAD model.

MVHR Design:  Supplier (same comapny as M&E Consultant). 

ASHP/UVC:  Supplier (same comapny as M&E Consultant). I specified ASHP/UVC brands and have pushed for certain things like mixed heating circuits and monitoring.

Hot/Cold Water:  M&E Spec included indicative drawings for plumber, but I redesigned this myself to avoid recirculation loop using manifold approach discussed on forum and to the plumbers annoyance specificed manifolds and pipe sizing for each run etc.

PV/Battery:  Supplier.  I specified 3-phase and chose panel/inverter manufactuer.

Electrical:  Have just left this to electricians, but have double-checked voltage drop on LED runs and had them replace things.

Edited by Dan F
  • Like 2