Carpet fabric options

tanneja

Can't seem to find any historic posts on this.

Is there an ideal carpet material which is somehow:

- pleasant underfoot and kneeling on,

- is VOC free (i.e. not bad for your health),

- durable to compression from being trodden on

- cleanable,

- moth resistant,

- kid and pet friendly,

- and looks somewhat modern / keeps it's self together / doesn't shed?

Vibe in the house is modern japandi (kind japanese and nordic).  Am wary of weaved carpets hearing very easy to pull one out with a pet claw or kid toy.  Wool doesn't look that modern, usually the samples in the showroom are fraying or shedding.

House does have MVHR so hopefully minimal dead air spaces, so maybe the VOC isn't an issue if we also steam clean it when it gets in the house?

Modern carpets are sometimes made in two versions. Rubber or hassian backed. I guess the latter is better for VOC. I know Hessian has lower TOG which matters for UFH.

PS Sometimes the small print on the back of an order form allows them to supply either version so beware to check.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

@Temp I offer my apologies, I was unintentionally missing more information.

This is for upstairs and the cinema room, potentially stair runner too.

Cinema has UFH but I knew that would need sympathetic underlay and carpet and there is a lot on this site regarding that.

This was mainly for upstairs.  Plan for a good sounds proofing underlay (presumably low VOC too), and then have same carpet in hallway and through all bedrooms, potentially down the centre of the oak stair treds too.

I have seen in store the differences with the backing, thank you for reminding me.

Edited by tanneja

We have  commercial grade 100% wool and 80% wool carpets, loop pile and twist pile. 

I think the twist pile will be more durable. I prefer the 100% wool but my Mrs can't tell the difference. 

A good underlay makes it very comfortable. We don't have UFH. 

• Like 1

@Iceverge Is the loop pile the 100% or 80% please?

Would you be able to share a link to the commercial variant for us to see what it looks like and get a feel for pricing?

Now that it has been in use for some time, does it look rustic due to stray strangs wanting to poke away from the twist, or everything still very clean and neat?

Edited by tanneja

I'd be looking for commercial products only. A lot of large multinational companies (think Google, Facebook offices, etc) are now looking for sustainable VOC free products and trying to achieve lots of 'green' credentials such as LEED, WELL, etc so carpet manufacturing companies are having to react to meet these demands. These carpets obviously have to be very modern and super hard wearing, easy to clean, good acoustic properties, etc.

This isn't happening to the same extent in the domestic market.

Edited by Dudda
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, tanneja said:

@Iceverge Is the loop pile the 100% or 80% please?

Would you be able to share a link to the commercial variant for us to see what it looks like and get a feel for pricing?

Now that it has been in use for some time, does it look rustic due to stray strangs wanting to poke away from the twist, or everything still very clean and neat?

100% wool. 

The tufted/twist is 80/20. 

https://www.brockway.co.uk/carpets/portofino/turchesi is on the stairs. 

https://flooringmegastore.co.uk/lingdale-elite-brockway/ I think is what's in the bedrooms. 

Gut feeling is the twist is later is tougher but after only 7 months both are just fine. 

• Like 1

Wool blend (80% wol & 20% nylon) are most durable in natural mix products.  Pure wool feels great, not quite as wear resistant. Both not great for spills and stains.

Loop pile tends to crush flat after a period of time and many dont like the look it has then.

Twist pile (not deep like saxonys) is durable, especially 10th gauge (many are 8th gauge)

Polypropylene is often cheaper, and is also often bleach (diluted) cleanable. Tends to crush flat if deep pile.

Nylon (polyamide) more resistant to crushing, and is also cleanable.

Bottom line is they all have their pros and cons. 

• Like 1