New Electricity Supply and Meter problems

Jilly

I've got the electricity connection done to a kiosk by UK Power Networks and have my MPAN no. etc, but all the main electricity companies are not installing new meters at the moment and it doesn't seem possible to arrange a meter installation without organising a supplier, or arrange a supply without a meter. I'm going round in circles hanging on the phone and then being fobbed off. 

Anyone else had this? I wonder if it's because of the gas supply debacle? 

Had a joiner in a couple of weeks ago who does a lot of new builds and extensions and he told us about one of his clients trying to get a meter installed, was told it would be January before it could be done and on further enquiries he was told the electricity companies are all focusing on potential black outs just now 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would write to your MP and explain thats it proving difficult for self builders to get meters installed in some parts of the country due to a shortage of installers and the demands of the big house builders. Ask him to write to the CEO of EDF and the Association of Meter Operators ? to encourage them to do more to support self builders. Provide names and addresses for him so its easy for his secretary to do it for him/her. It's probably a waste of time but it only costs you a stamp and you never know.

Edited by Temp
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2021 at 22:16, DragsterDriver said:

Well, British Gas turned up today on time and fitted a meter. I can’t believe nothing went wrong!

We used British Gas (was three years ago) for the meter install (three phase) and as you say no problem. They even gave us £60 back when we had been asked "do you want a smart meter"? Then they realised no such thing was available at the time....

Edited by Ajn
  • Like 1