Is this a fair price from Sharps?

jdiggy

Dear Community,

I was wondering if you could advise if this is a fair price from Sharps regarding a TV/Entertainment unit I wanted building out for an Alcove area in the living room.

I have attached an image of what the area looks like now and I have also attached an image of what Sharps are proposing. 

Sharps have said the units in the rustic oak and graphite colour with 4 lights will cost £3200.00. They said it was something called 'Type 1 MDF', which I think is some fancy marketing terms and I believe the MDF might be wrapped.

Is this worth it?

How much should I be paying for a job like this?

Are there any other companies I can consider to come in and quote other than Sharps?

Thank you for your time and help!

Alcove Area:

WhatsApp Image 2021-11-01 at 11.18.02 AM.jpeg

Sharps Proposal:

pronounced.png

Edited by jdiggy

No idea if it is good value, @Onoff likes making things like this, he will knock you one up for 2050, and that is not ten to nine.

What I can say about Sharps is that when they had a showroom in High Wycombe, we used to get out hair cut there.  The woman that ran the place was a hairdresser/barber and did a great job out the back.

I figured a reasonable and fair price for something like this would be around £2000 in all honesty.

Type 1 MDF is that some marketing mumbo jumbo?

I've heard Baltic Birch Ply is nice with a spray finish but that might be going too far and beyond my budget, which was closer to 2K

Perhaps a moisture resistant MDF is fine here with a sprayed colour?

£3200 feels dirty and well out of my budget.

Are there any other retailers like Sharps that you guys can recommend? Would be grateful for any names.

Baltic birch is the dogs whatsits of ply, but I would never paint it, decent hardwood ply for painting.

MDF is my go-to for custom cabinets if they are to be painted.

I would say that’s a 1500-£2k item as a stand alone but bespoke size.

8 minutes ago, markc said:

Baltic birch is the dogs whatsits of ply, but I would never paint it, decent hardwood ply for painting.

MDF is my go-to for custom cabinets if they are to be painted.

I would say that’s a 1500-£2k item as a stand alone but bespoke size.

Thanks MarkC! Appreciate the transparency.

So the options are:

- Find a joiner

- Find another company that is like Sharps but cheaper (any recommendations?)

- Go with Sharps

Would you say the order of those options are best? Looks like the the creme de la creme option is joiner, MDF painted at £2000?  Are there different types of MDF? and would this price include the 4 light fixings?

I am in the Manchester area so looking for any recommendations of who else i can try?

Jeepers, that sounds pricey to me.

I'd go joiner route any day. specify what you are looking to achieve and ask for quotes. Only use people who you know have been recommended, on facebook groups or suchlike and ask to see images of their work. Only pay a deposit up front, and only pay balance if you're happy.

For £3.2K I'd be wanting more than anything made from mdf.

1 hour ago, jdiggy said:

Thanks MarkC! Appreciate the transparency.

So the options are:

- Find a joiner

- Find another company that is like Sharps but cheaper (any recommendations?)

- Go with Sharps

Would you say the order of those options are best? Looks like the the creme de la creme option is joiner, MDF painted at £2000?  Are there different types of MDF? and would this price include the 4 light fixings?

I am in the Manchester area so looking for any recommendations of who else i can try?

Hi, look for someone who does bespoke kitchens or bedrooms, your build will be pretty straightforward for them. Joiner covers a multitude of trades/skills from first fix framing to laminate flooring.

So lads, I have to say thank you for the number of responses. Thanks for being so kind to take your time and help a newbie out. I got a question about Aesthetics. I took the original image from Sharps and have been tinkering in photoshop. Which do you think looks better:

Square pigeon holes with 2 blank push caps on the left with 4-5 push caps cabinets along the bottom:

1930149365_Design1_new.png.143c17c59c0a150e602a0b5b66f66d0d.png

Rectangular pigeon holes with no blanks on the left with 3-4 push cap cabinets along the bottom:

Design 2_new.png

The colour scheme I am going for is a deep sapphire blue instead of the black and a stone or dove grey instead of the rustic oak but it could also be a warmer wood

Edited by jdiggy

1 minute ago, Redoctober said:

@jdiggy For me, I prefer the top image - Just to underline the point that Sharps are probably factoring in their marketing budget in your quote, our son was recently quoted £1700 by a local joiner to supply and fit something very similar. 

Thanks Redoctober. I have just edited the images and re-uploaded them by removing any ornaments that may influence the aesthetics. You still like the top one?

No.2 daughter decided she wanted a bit of a Goth themed bedroom makeover, all black and grey walls! ?

SWMBO went to IKEA and bought a couple of these "boxes". This despite my protestations that I could make them. Apparently I'd "take too long"...

IMG_20211101_221057065.thumb.jpg.021ab5795accdd200e7942aa612e039a.jpg

I'd thought I'd have a crack anyway at making some same size, similar ones...just to show her! 

Plan is 8 of these 3D printed corner "guides" to hold it all square whilst it glues. Will probably use Gorilla expanding glue, no screws.

IMG_20211101_221217482.thumb.jpg.99b056d8980a9ee8b0184a9630016a70.jpg

IMG_20211101_221258783.thumb.jpg.b813dd46293c9aa4503a77d6ad0f0d6f.jpg

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Onoff said:

No.2 daughter decided she wanted a bit of a Goth themed bedroom makeover, all black and grey walls! ?

SWMBO went to IKEA and bought a couple of these "boxes". This despite my protestations that I could make them. Apparently I'd "take too long"...

IMG_20211101_221057065.thumb.jpg.021ab5795accdd200e7942aa612e039a.jpg

I'd thought I'd have a crack anyway at making some same size, similar ones...just to show her! 

Plan is 8 of these 3D printed corner "guides" to hold it all square whilst it glues. Will probably use Gorilla expanding glue, no screws.

IMG_20211101_221217482.thumb.jpg.99b056d8980a9ee8b0184a9630016a70.jpg

IMG_20211101_221258783.thumb.jpg.b813dd46293c9aa4503a77d6ad0f0d6f.jpg

Leave it @Onoff ! It’s not like you haven’t got a few other jobs to sort !