Building Regs Questions

richo106

Hi All

I am planning my bungalow extension (biggest project I've done by far!) we are adding another floor to our bungalow and little side extension.

Our planning permission application got submitted couple of months back so just awaiting results on that

Does this require full building regs or just a notice? 

Would people recommend getting building regulations drawing done? We need to upgrade the insulation throughout the existing house too

What would be the next steps be regarding building regs? Wait for the plans to be passed and then find speak to BC?

All help and advice and this subject greatly appreciated 

I would recommend a full application as in theory this means building control approve most of the details in advance. If you go down the Building Notice route mistakes may not get spotted until they do an inspection. Depends how confident you are in understanding the regs. 

5 minutes ago, richo106 said:

What would be the next steps be regarding building regs? Wait for the plans to be passed and then find speak to BC?

That's what I would do.

Is the CIL a thing in your area? Check what forms you need to do before starting work. Think it's form 9.

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/11/2021 at 08:38, Temp said:

I would recommend a full application as in theory this means building control approve most of the details in advance. If you go down the Building Notice route mistakes may not get spotted until they do an inspection. Depends how confident you are in understanding the regs. 

I totally agree with the above, get everything signed off by building control so you know exactly what is expected.

Quote BPEC

Compression fittings shall only be used where they will be readily accessible to allow the nuts to be tightened to make a sound joint and therefore, for example, must not be buried in the structure, below ground or beneath floorboard

Gas Pipework Jointing
Before jointing pipework the pipe ends must be cut square and deburred, especially where wheel type pipe cutters are used. Joints must be made in such a manner that they are mechanically strong, gas tight, free from internal obstruction to the flow of gas and exert no undue stresses on the fitting(s).
All jointing compounds and tapes must comply with BS 6956 or BS EN 751-1 to 3 as appropriate. Fibrous materials such as hemp must not be used with the exception of existing long screws where, in conjunction with jointing compounds, it seals the back nut of the fitting.
Copper Pipework
Capillary joints are the most popular joints used to joint copper pipework, however, it should be noted that there are some basic rules that should be followed. The correct fluxes and fittings must always be used.
Fittings must comply with BS EN1254-1 to 5 (formerly BS 864). Fittings may be end feed (Figure 1) which need solder to be applied to the joint, or solder ring (Figure 2) which has the correct quantity of solder contained within an annular ring inside the fitt

Full plan approval 100%. Plus the builders can price off and work from plans with specification etc that will satisfy BC. Very few builders know the standards they generally just copy specifications and details they have done in past and if the drawings don show something different or clearly enough they will revert to what they have seen in the past.

and if they don’t like a detail or specifications on drawing and don’t know the reason then guess what. They will revert to what they have seen in past lolol

Edited by Gordo