2nd storage battery

Pocster

My original Tesla lite plan has just ended ( no standing charge ; 11p per KW ; 11p export ) . Though Tesla take control of the battery . The property hasn’t been occupied in a proper sense for a year - so figures for usage / cost are not usable .

On the verge of moving in now . The new Tesla lite tariff is less attractive. Gone for octopus go . Standing charge . 25p peak cost ; 5p off peak ( 00:30 to 04:30 ) . I control the battery .

I know we all agree about ROI being poor . But as electricity prices increase and assuming a Tesla battery is the same price today there must come a point when a second battery is cost effective. Don’t want @Thorfun having 3 and I only have 1 !

Anyone got any rough calcs on how to prove/ disprove this ? . I currently have no real consumption values for my build ….

Edited by pocster
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Thorfun said:

sounds like you're throwing down the gauntlet! must.......resist.......

Perhaps I’ll strap 2 on the front ; then I’ll match you ! . But you are going 3 phase I think - so you could have 9!!!! 
You installed / planned any battery / pv stuff yet ?

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Perhaps I’ll strap 2 on the front ; then I’ll match you ! . But you are going 3 phase I think - so you could have 9!!!! 
You installed / planned any battery / pv stuff yet ?

not installed as the superstructure is still going up. but it's almost all paid for. we've decided to get a single phase inverter rather than 3-phase inverter even though we will have a 3-phase electricity supply. the house is only going to be run off a single phase and this way ALL of the generated electricity can be used to run the house and charge the battery and then excess can be exported. 

the research I did revealed that net metering and 3-phase smart meters are hard to come by at the moment and I just didn't fancy the extra complexity of exporting 2 phases and then importing on the single phase especially when our application to the DNO for a 10kW export was accepted.

so, long story short, only 1 battery required on a single phase inverter for us. I think this is one competition you will win.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

so, long story short, only 1 battery required on a single phase inverter for us. I think this is one competition you will win.

Have you worked out the cost /savings though of having 2 batteries at the higher electricity pricing ( and presumably only going to increase for the foreseeable future ) ?? . @SteamyTea is sad - once he’s finished his pasty he will do some maths and a chart .

• Haha 1

not something I've looked in to and just don't have the budget for it at the moment! I'm hoping that our 10kWp array will produce enough electricity on the good (and maybe some not so good) days that we can drastically reduce our reliance on the grid and simply pay the higher cost of buying from the grid if and when we require it.

• Like 1