Self Build - Cornwall

TBlew

Hi,

Just a quick introduction to myself and why I'm on here.

My wife and I have just started a self build down in Cornwall. Using insulated raft, ICF wall construction with a SIP roof. Aiming for an efficient, air tight build with low running costs. That's the dream anyway. 

Lots to learn & get your head around. So I'm sure I will have lots of questions and will try to help as much as possible where I can. 

Our project is a barn type build, that we are trying to do as much as we can ourselves. We've already excavated the site, started our gabion basket retaining wall and had our first 2 utilities connected last weekend. 

Cheers! 

2021-10-28 15_27_28-PDF X - PA21_01919-NORTH_AND_WEST_ELEVATIONS_-_PROPOSED-5510228.pdf.png

2021-10-28 15_26_54-PDF X - PA21_01919-SOUTH_AND_EAST_ELEVATIONS_-_PROPOSED-5510227.pdf.png

6 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Just had a better look at your plans.

Roof not the best angle for PV.

It would do an E/W split which would give lower peak generation but more early and late generation which is better for self usage.

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

It would do an E/W split which would give lower peak generation but more early and late generation which is better for self usage.

We have a south facing roof on our detached garage that we are planning to utilize first, and then the rest split over the house as you have suggested. Just in talks with solar company for our arrangements etc. 

16 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

Looks good. Any plans to share?

Have you thought about provisioning for overheating, lots of westerly glazing. 

Maybe Aircon or external blinds. 

Thanks, yes something i have thought about, hoping to add a cooling unit to our MVHR system. Do you know how effective these are? External blinds/sun shades could be added if needed. 

19 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Welcome.

Cornwall is a big country, which part you in.

There are a few members building at the moment in SE Cornwall, and one or two up NE.

Not many down in Penwith.

Carrick, Mid Cornwall, North Coast

15 minutes ago, TBlew said:

Do you know how effective these are? External blinds/sun shades could be added if needed. 

Not great. MVHR is a good for ventilation, not much else. 

Shades only work on southern elevations really due to the low sun angle east/west. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ProDave said:

Was thinking more of the altitude angles than the azimuth angles.

But if it is near St. Agnes it won't make much difference.

If you can see St. Agnes Head it is about to rain, if you can't see it, it is raining.

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/10/2021 at 16:00, TBlew said:

Using insulated raft, ICF wall construction with a SIP roof. Aiming for an efficient, air tight build with low running costs.

Do you have an idea who you are going to use for ICF? I went on the isotex course last week it was interesting!

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/11/2021 at 16:03, freshy said:

Do you have an idea who you are going to use for ICF? I went on the isotex course last week it was interesting!

Yes we are using R-wall. We managed to see a build close to where we lived. I originally planned to use durisol, then isotex, but decided to go with more 'traditional icf' based on my structural engineers recommendations.

How have you found R-wall. We are visiting them on Thursday after seeing them at the Cornwall home show. They are very local to me but had not heard of them before the show.  Then again I am from up country, not been down here too long. 
We have no planning permission yet and still undecided between SiPs and ICF but hearing the wind and rain to night does put another point for ICF noise insulation. 

9 hours ago, Susie said:

How have you found R-wall. We are visiting them on Thursday after seeing them at the Cornwall home show. They are very local to me but had not heard of them before the show.  Then again I am from up country, not been down here too long. 
We have no planning permission yet and still undecided between SiPs and ICF but hearing the wind and rain to night does put another point for ICF noise insulation. 

R Wall have been good so far. We haven't started to build yet, we will hopefully in the new year but have just had our xps delivery. They've been helpful in the process so far and it was good being able to visit a local build in process. Matt was really good at talking us through the process and answered all our questions we had both there and over email.