Drainage CCTV incorrect survey.

Paul Alan

We paid a local drainagae company to survey our drains prior to excavation.

They provided us with a video clip and a drawing saying that the soil went in a acertain direction and was clear of any public drains.

We excavated and found public drain running through the back of the house.

The footings have been open for weeks and we have not been able to move forward until welsh water give us a build over and diversion, no idea how much longer this may take.

We called the drainage company and asked for a refund, theyre not playing ball. Is there some governing body we can contact over this issue? I feel totaly ripped off and am having to pay welsh water to do the survey again.

I'll include their "diagarm" to show their professionalism 

S25C-921102613540.pdf

I can't help, but had a similar experience. Had a survey done as part of the house purchase, was told there was a septic tank just off the rear corner of the house, with images/videos to show it.

We ended up having to lay a new water pipe which ran right around that corner and down to the garage/garden supply.

We never did find said septic tank.

I'm sure we have one somewhere, but I do question the accuracy of some of these surveys. I'm dreading digging the foundations for our extension, no doubt that's when we'll find it ;)

Hope you get sorted!

• Like 1

On 26/10/2021 at 19:15, Paul Alan said:

We called the drainage company and asked for a refund, theyre not playing ball. Is there some governing body we can contact over this issue? I feel totaly ripped off and am having to pay welsh water to do the survey again.

S25C-921102613540.pdf 21.91 kB · 14 downloads

Pushing on an open door with me Paul. I used to  use the same name as you for that sector: ' the drainage sector ' .

I now call it the Dregs Sector . The number of stories I hear about it.... 

The sooner that company is out of business, the better. I am not sure that you can use the Small Claims Court until you can show loss. I have no feel for the costs - is it worth the effort, or is it another one of those  -

'' If ya can't take a joke, don't self-build " moments?

On 28/10/2021 at 09:34, ToughButterCup said:

Pushing on an open door with me Paul. I used to  use the same name as you for that sector: ' the drainage sector ' .

I now call it the Dregs Sector . The number of stories I hear about it.... 

The sooner that company is out of business, the better. I am not sure that you can use the Small Claims Court until you can show loss. I have no feel for the costs - is it worth the effort, or is it another one of those  -

'' If ya can't take a joke, don't self-build " moments?

The sneaky buggers actually came around the proerty whilst I was out and gathered more info to cover their arses...even admitted he'd been around too.

1 hour ago, Paul Alan said:

The sneaky buggers actually came around the proerty whilst I was out and gathered more info to cover their arses...even admitted he'd been around too.

To me that hints that he realises there are likely to be no consequences to his unprofessional behaviour.

• Like 1