Omnibuswoman

Mildew all over plywood walls

46 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Just need to find an offcut of clean ply, char one side and leave in a shed.

good idea. We have a blowtorch here and some ply that has stayed unaffected. I’ll do a controlled test - one Japanese charred and one not. See what happens! 

However, for my workshop, I don’t favour the “had a fire” look, so will be trying the zissner paint first. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Omnibuswoman said:

However, for my workshop, I don’t favour the “had a fire” look, so will be trying the zissner paint first. 

Call it a Finnish Shed.

The idea is to then sand, prime and paint after the burning.

• Haha 1

On 27/10/2021 at 09:05, SteamyTea said:

To me, Solum is a single type of soil, which may, or may not be in layers with other soil types.

So may be missing something here.

But basically, once the spores are in your building, and they will be, they will find a niche and multiply.

Yes, mines is certainly missing the coal tar, basically gone in a lot of places. Require a major clean up and then repair of the solum.  Another major project...

4 hours ago, Omnibuswoman said:

i bought a tin of zinsser white anti mould paint a couple of days ago, preferring it over the dulux anti mould because it had more sinister health warnings on the back 😂

That's my technique.

Take a Green Party person along, and buy the one that causes the loudest shriek :ph34r:

• Haha 1

this is a really good example of why many warm roofs fail. A combination of lack of properly sealed vapour barrier and the insulation (or lack off) bringing the dew point into the building.

Cut through the panels to see if it's the blue fungus. We have some cladding boards that are streaked through with blue/grey - even when cut through. They're always the lightest and barkiest ones (sapwood verging on mill ends) and no change in 6 months.

Black mould, white mould, and full on mushrooms after only on the wet offcuts left in a heap outside. Stack them - covering only the top of the stack NOT the sides - and it appears to stop if not die as it dries.

Probably not helpful for a building sorry; but for storage...

• Like 1

Reading this topic with interest as we are having a similar issue with exterior ply boards which were fitted to our roof a few months ago.

we have no windows nor doors yet and there has been a fair bit of moisture in, the south facing roof pitch is unaffected and it isn’t all boards.

I don’t have the option to remove as the roof is on so I’ll need to clean then treat I think. 

any suggested products would be appreciated.

many thanks. 

B56537C5-0E83-43DB-BDF5-D606258528FE.jpeg

All of our ply in the basement got mildew within days. The sheets I picked up from the builders merchants the other day came pre applied with mould.... For whatever reason mildew and fungal mould love cheap softwood ply.  It'll stop growing once heating is one and humidity drops.

Posted (edited)

My recent experience of ply boards used in a building project.....

Expensive sheets of graded marine ply from a dedicated Timber yard = no problems with mould, even with the scrap off-cuts left outside!

Cheaper sheets of ply from a Builders merchants  = mildrew and fungal mould appeared at the slightest sign of cold or damp in the air.

Edited by MAB

10 minutes ago, MAB said:

My recent experience of ply boards used in a building project.....

Expensive sheets of graded marine ply from a dedicated Timber yard = no problems with mould, even with the scrap off-cuts left outside!

Cheaper sheets of ply from a Builders merchants  = mildrew and fungal mould appeared at the slightest sign of cold or damp in the air.

Same here.

So what was the solution?

27 minutes ago, DC5 said:

So what was the solution?

Use OSB…… or sarking 

Spray bleach onto it?

Has no one tried blow torching to slightly char the surface yet.

On 09/01/2022 at 21:44, SteamyTea said:

Has no one tried blow torching to slightly char the surface yet.

I haven’t yet tried this, no, but will be down there in a fortnight so will give the experiment a go. 

On 09/01/2022 at 21:39, TonyT said:

Spray bleach onto it?

We have washed one of the ply panels with a strong bleach solution and it did clean it up a bit. But we have left the rest for now as we had other more pressing tasks to get done. Once the workshop is complete we will wash all of the walls with bleach (we dissolved lots of tesco bleach tablets in water to make a strong solution) then will paint with anti mould paint. 

57 minutes ago, Omnibuswoman said:

I haven’t yet tried this, no, but will be down there in a fortnight so will give the experiment a go. 

Driving up to Bucks and Down to Cornwall all the time now, quite happy to deviate to yours and set fire to it.

• Haha 1