Internal door apertures

James94

Just in the middle of installing my stud walls and would like some help with the finished stud positions to enable casing and door to fit. I’ve fitted a couple of cheap casings and doors a few years ago but want to know the easiest way. I know there are different size doors and casings, I’m looking at a slightly more expensive door probably a pre hung to aid in fitting. Should I leave a few millimetres either side and shim it or exact size so it will screw tight to studs?

Regards. James

• 2 weeks later...

Haven’t really progressed with this, I’ll be going for 2040 x 826 x40 mm doors. Is there a set measurement to add to the 826 with which will give the overall opening size. I think I’m going to give 5mm each side for packing out and say 3 mm for door and paint inside casing, it’s the last measurement I can’t get my head around. Is there a standard size depth for the rebate? not the 44mm for the door to fit flush.

Regards. James

11 minutes ago, James94 said:

Haven’t really progressed with this, I’ll be going for 2040 x 826 x40 mm doors. Is there a set measurement to add to the 826 with which will give the overall opening size. I think I’m going to give 5mm each side for packing out and say 3 mm for door and paint inside casing, it’s the last measurement I can’t get my head around. Is there a standard size depth for the rebate? not the 44mm for the door to fit flush.

Regards. James

826 usually equals 900/910 structural opening.  Quite easy to remember with Metric doors as they go up in 100mm increments! 

Thanks for the advice we have now got our opening measurement after scratching my head and a lot of confusion. I think the bit I was struggling to get my head round was how much to add for the casing (the rebated section depth).

James.