Combined Henley block 100amp DP Isolator

tvrulesme

Just to preempt any concerns, all the works below will be carried out by a qualified electrician.

In the process of buying a house with an outdated meter, mains fuse etc which I intend to get UK Power Networks and the electricity supplier to replace with 100A Smart meter etc. I will be running power to the detached garage at some point and may as well add enough umpf for an EV charger. 

Currently there is no Isolator switch and my question is considering an already crowded electricity cupboard, does such a thing as a combined Henly Block and Isolator exist?

I've seen these 4 pole 100 amp isolators so in my unqualified mind joining the two left lower poles and the two right lower poles with a chunky busbar would do the same thing as a Henley Block. The outputs would then feed two respective consumer units, one in the house, one in the garage. 

F0569675-02.jpeg.113fba18d41beb78e4a0d9eab11d703d.jpeg

Am I thinking crazyness or would this make sense/be signed off?

WYREC4.jpeg

I can see no reason why that would not work, though I have not seen it done.  I would make the straight through pair go to the house CU and the busbared pair go to the garage CU.

But don't forget you will have to find somewhere for a switch fuse or similar at the house end to feed to the garage, that feed cannot just come from this isolator.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I can see no reason why that would not work, though I have not seen it done.  I would make the straight through pair go to the house CU and the busbared pair go to the garage CU.

But don't forget you will have to find somewhere for a switch fuse or similar at the house end to feed to the garage, that feed cannot just come from this isolator.

Thanks a million Dave. I kind of assumed because it would be behind the main fuse and this isolator switch that would be sufficient. Just out of curiosity what's the reason that's not enough?

Just in case I haven't explained my crazy idea well enough

Incoming supply cable > main fuse > meter > Isolator switch (splits into two) > house & garage CUs

Edited by tvrulesme

The DNO only allow their fuse to protect meter tails up to 3 metres long.  If either your garage or house CU is more than 3 metres from the supply head it needs it's own fuse.

Very unlikely your garage CU will be no more than 3 metres away.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

The DNO only allow their fuse to protect meter tails up to 3 metres long.  If either your garage or house CU is more than 3 metres from the supply head it needs it's own fuse.

Very unlikely your garage CU will be no more than 3 metres away.

Ah, you genius. Yup, that's the bit I was missing. Thanks so much for the explanation