Underpinning

Digger1

10 minutes ago, Digger1 said:

Spoke to my solicitor, they advised its unlikely to be an issue when i resell providing i can evidence the work was carried out for strengthening and not subsidence.  Mortgage broker said it wouldn't be a problem providing the solicitor confirmed the above.  

Spoke to my home insurance co and they said because the work was for strengthening and not underpinning then they didn't require to be informed, policy not effected.

Just picked up on this thread. I had the same question as I needed foundation pads under an existing wall. One party wanted to call it underpinning so warranty provider wanted licensed contractor etc. I asked the SE to clarify in the drawings it was for strengthening and providing new foundations for steel frame. Everyone relaxed then. It's all down to a simple word!

I dug it all out and filled myself according to the structural design. BCO/Warranty inspector was totally relaxed about it following pre pour inspection.

Edited by SimonD
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SimonD said:

Just picked up on this thread. I had the same question as I needed foundation pads under an existing wall. One party wanted to call it underpinning so warranty provider wanted licensed contractor etc. I asked the SE to clarify in the drawings it was for strengthening and providing new foundations for steel frame. Everyone relaxed then. It's all down to a simple word!

I dug it all out and filled myself according to the structural design. BCO/Warranty inspector was totally relaxed about it following pre pour inspection.

A sensible solution to a simple problem.

do you have a spec + drawings  for this under pinning 

under pinning term can mean alot of things 

and why just the corner ?

surely if you make that solid you could stand a chance of the rest of the building sinking around it .

just a thought and maybe a wrong one 

could you not just make a new deeper foundation right up to the corner , tie it to exsisting one and another wall close and tied to it at the corner so load is spread on the old building 

I could be talking rubbish  of course .

but under pinning sounds expensive 

Edited by scottishjohn