Lifting a big piece of quartz ?

canalsiderenovation

I'm getting some grief for this.

We have a lovely piece of quartz to go on the dressing room island. We got the dressing table piece on, moving it from the hall to the bedroom with lots of swearing about how I should have got it put in the bedroom to start with (I know I know, had it not been delivered at the most inconvenient time I should of -  hindsight is a wonderful thing)......

Large piece of 3cm thick quartz 128x113 we can't lift (it's a bungalow thankfully but it's two opposite ends of the house)! 

Is there anything I can use to help make the job easier as well as finding two people stronger than us? I know two men lifted it into the house so it must be possible!

One of those appliance trollies would work. I moved several lengths of kitchen worktop with mine. You can get a half decent one in B&Q for £41. Handy to have if you even need to move a washing machine or fridge etc. Do you have doorways to go through? You might have to shuffle through.

https://www.diy.com/departments/mac-allister-hand-truck-250kg-capacity/1357679_BQ.prd

Tho, you'll still have a challenge lifting it in place. Suggest you find an extra pair of hands for that bit.

Edited by Conor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Conor said:

Suggest you find an extra pair of hands for that bit.

Second this, no point straining yourselves, just ask your strongest friends to come help. If you really want to do it yourself then you can move it around on its edge with wooden rollers ( just buy a bit of round wood from homebace etc and cut it up) protect the edge of the sheet by sticking cardboard on it. You will then need to build a wooden ramp to slide it up and into place. It’s all possible but so much quicker just lifting it into plabe

• Thanks 1

2 men lifted our 3 metre by 600mm granite worktop into the house and on  the units.  They did let out a big gasp when it got there suggesting it was hard work.

This sounds like a job for your dad and a neighbour perhaps?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Conor said:

One of those appliance trollies would work. I moved several lengths of kitchen worktop with mine. You can get a half decent one in B&Q for £41. Handy to have if you even need to move a washing machine or fridge etc. Do you have doorways to go through? You might have to shuffle through.

https://www.diy.com/departments/mac-allister-hand-truck-250kg-capacity/1357679_BQ.prd

Tho, you'll still have a challenge lifting it in place. Suggest you find an extra pair of hands for that bit.

We do have doorways so I'll need to check we also have one step as the bungalow is split level!

My dad's knackered his shoulder so is out of action and our neighbours are in their 70s! Getting extra hands at the moment is proving difficult, or rather anyone who doesn't have a knackered back/neck/shoulder (and that includes me)!

26 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

What would the Egyptians have done? Firstly that trolley from b & q. secondly some rugs to slide it along or lay down without damage.

thirdly lots of workers.

If you have the last option all other issues are resolved. 

Haha, whenever we had to move machinery or big structural members by hand we called it the Egyptian Method, rollers, skids, etc.

6 minutes ago, pocster said:

Exactly. F all  help ; so get a crane .

Went to school with a girl called Tracy Crane. Prettiest girl in the place. Bet she has changed somewhat in the decades since then.

Wonder if she is still blonde. This was Basildon after all.

14 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Went to school with a girl called Tracy Crane. Prettiest girl in the place. Bet she has changed somewhat in the decades since then.

Wonder if she is still blonde. This was Basildon after all.

Still get a hook up and a lift ?

14 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

I'm getting some grief for this.

We have a lovely piece of quartz to go on the dressing room island. We got the dressing table piece on, moving it from the hall to the bedroom with lots of swearing about how I should have got it put in the bedroom to start with (I know I know, had it not been delivered at the most inconvenient time I should of -  hindsight is a wonderful thing)......

Large piece of 3cm thick quartz 128x113 we can't lift (it's a bungalow thankfully but it's two opposite ends of the house)! 

Is there anything I can use to help make the job easier as well as finding two people stronger than us? I know two men lifted it into the house so it must be possible!

Two of these with some 2 x 4 screwed into it to make a 3.2cm slot on each

https://www.toolstation.com/roughneck-dolly/p99817

Maybe a frame to hold it up, if you feel its needed

Talk to your local gym and offer them a donation to their charity for the year in exchange for 2 or 3 people for 10 minutes.

Crossfit Gyms would take that up if your offered perhaps £30 or so; pretty much all have charities they support. At ours we fundraised for one of those defibrillators which is now in gym reception for the surrounding industrial area.

Or ditto Army or Air Cadets for a donation to the Poppy Appeal.

It sounds like just under 100kg, so doable by 2-3 easily I would think.

Or buy a sack trolley.

• Like 1