External render

vfrdave

Folks hopefully you can help me out here I am a good bit off rendering but trying to make decisions. I am seeing more and more houses rendered down to ground level in what looks like a continuous pass, I assume bridging over the dpc, is this correct? There doesn't appear to be any stop beads or bellcast beads which are usually pretty obvious.  Can this be done and does this not cause issues with damp, reading on the internet I get more and more confused.

12 hours ago, vfrdave said:

Can this be done and does this not cause issues with damp,

theoretically, the outer skin is only there to stop water hitting the inner leaf, as well as providing some structural strength. if the ties are clean and no mortar snotters then bridging the dpc shouldn't be a problem especially as the render is a third layer of protection, though please refer back to first word!

if the reason for doing this is partially aesthetics then the brick/blockwork below dpc could be coated and the bellcast brought down sufficiently to cover/hide join. again this is different if ewi is fitted as this should cover down to foundations to minimise cold bridging and then coating to ground level can be done, though still see first point.