Painting, skirting and flooring - what am I missing

climbinggeorge

I'm approaching the end of first fix and am trying to line up the relevant trades for the next few steps, its a balance of some very limited availability and our wish to crack on and get the build finished.
The plasters finish in early Nov, the flooring installers are booked for 29th Nov.

My intention had been to get the painter in between these trades to get all the walls painted white throughout the house.
Once this is complete we can get the floors (tiles and engineered wood) laid.

Everywhere I look the consensus seems to be to put on the skirting boards prior to wall painting.  We are going for varnished or stained skirting to keep the natural wood look.
In my mind it seems easiest to do this outside, after the walls are painted and floor is laid, then stick it to the walls afterwards, what am I missing?

Well I am against "everywhere you looked"  I painted the walls white.  I then laid the flooring.  Next I cut the skirting to length and oiled it OFF the wall laying flat on it's back, and only then did I fit the finished skirting to the wall, held entirely by adhesive so no fixings to see.

4 minutes ago, climbinggeorge said:

Perhaps my research was too vague searching "skirting before or after painting"

Might you have been reading about paint order for walls and skirting *for pre-existing skirting*? If so, then it is indeed quite common to paint the walls last as it is much easier to wipe excess/spilt emulsion off gloss than the other way round. 

55 minutes ago, climbinggeorge said:

The plasters finish in early Nov, the flooring installers are booked for 29th Nov.

My intention had been to get the painter in between these trades to get all the walls painted white throughout the house.
Once this is complete we can get the floors (tiles and engineered wood) laid.

I’m assuming you’re going to use some forced dehumidification then as that is very tight to be painting on a new plaster. You need to specify you want paint suitable for new plaster and I would hold back on final finish until the wet trades such as tilers have done as you will get marks on walls etc.