Juliet balcony ideas

GaryM

Hi I hope some one can give me ideas for a juliet balcony to satisfy building control and my aesthetics. We  have a first floor level Idealcombi glazed gable screen 7.5m wide, in the middle are push out and slide double sliding doors. https://products.idealcombi.com/en/product/futura-plus-double-sliding-door/.

We want a frameless glass juliet balcony to cover the opening gap of around 2.5m, the door pop out around 100mm but bigger problem is the brick wall under the opening is not even , on one side under the opening is a capped of unused chimney  so we can't easily fasten there, we could look at removing a but more of the chimney although it has just been rendered. We had though of some sort of Z bars to bolt to the wall and hold the glass, but I can't see anything like it on the web.

Another option is an internal balcony, but min height is 1100mm , 200mm higher than the handles, so we can't reach them if we want tight up to the frame.

Any ideas?

Thanks

On 23/10/2021 at 08:42, ToughButterCup said:

Pintrest and google helped me a lot. Do an image search.

I have done a search and could not see any that would work, so currently talking to a local fabricator who is looking at ideas for me.

On 23/10/2021 at 16:26, ETC said:

Post some pictures please.

Here is an Image i've done for a local fabricator to come up with ideas. the central windows panes are the doors that pop out (around 100mm) and slide either side.

I'll apricate any ideas.

side_windows_view_mock_up.png

Perforated stainless balcony with a T profile edge that comes out the same distance as your protruding wall and then frameless 10mm glass - you may need to put returns on it but stainless corner clamps would work or even bonded glass if your budget isn’t too restricted. 

• 3 months later...
On 27/10/2021 at 23:07, ETC said:

Internal height only needs to be 900mm. Not 1100mm. Check out K2 Diagram 3.1.

Our building inspector is insisting on 1100 from finish floor level or if there is a step in front of the opening, as with ours, the 1100 should be taken from the top of the step including any finishes.

On 22/10/2021 at 19:06, GaryM said:

Hi I hope some one can give me ideas for a juliet balcony to satisfy building control and my aesthetics. We  have a first floor level Idealcombi glazed gable screen 7.5m wide, in the middle are push out and slide double sliding doors. https://products.idealcombi.com/en/product/futura-plus-double-sliding-door/.

We want a frameless glass juliet balcony to cover the opening gap of around 2.5m, the door pop out around 100mm but bigger problem is the brick wall under the opening is not even , on one side under the opening is a capped of unused chimney  so we can't easily fasten there, we could look at removing a but more of the chimney although it has just been rendered. We had though of some sort of Z bars to bolt to the wall and hold the glass, but I can't see anything like it on the web.

Another option is an internal balcony, but min height is 1100mm , 200mm higher than the handles, so we can't reach them if we want tight up to the frame.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Be very careful of who and what is installed as our Juliet has been installed above the maximum height of 1100mm, the measurements that should have been considered were not taken into account, see attached picture, and as the sub-contracted company who our window company engaged to do the Juliet's did not perform a full survey just a cursory visit before the windows were even installed so they screwed up big time, they insist it is compliant but our building control guy says otherwise, there are many factors that can determine where the height is measured from as shown in the picture, but with us it's from the top of the block-work immediately in front of the opening, not the frame, not the gasket both of which has been suggested, either way it's too high even though it may be only 60mm.

Juliet_Balcony_Glass_&_Window_26_(compressed).pdf

40 minutes ago, markc said:

I don’t understand why a Juliet cannot be higher than 1100? Is this if it’s used for fire escape reasons? If it was a parapet or balustrade etc it can be higher but not lower

Sorry I should have stated that in our particular case the opening was a fire escape, my mistake.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Sorry I should have stated that in our particular case the opening was a fire escape, my mistake.

So rules states it needs to be 1100mm for safety to kit fall over it but if a fire escape has to be lower? Which one is right? 

13 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

So rules states it needs to be 1100mm for safety to kit fall over it but if a fire escape has to be lower? Which one is right? 

I can only quote you what our building inspector has detailed, see below:-

"I would suggest that from the blue line on the photo attached (top of the 120mm upstand) the glazed guarding comes 1100mm from this level.  The guarding needs to be from finished floor level, but in this instance I would suggest that the upstand is the floor level and not the actual room level, because if the guarding was taken from the bedroom floor level it would be under the required height once stepping onto the upstand/step. "

I hope this makes sense to you.

On 27/10/2021 at 23:07, ETC said:

Internal height only needs to be 900mm. Not 1100mm. Check out K2 Diagram 3.1.

Hi, it's a little since I posted the thread, I been busy in other areas.

An internal balcony is a possibility, but even at 900mm it would be tight with the handles.

On 08/02/2022 at 15:23, Peter M said:

Be very careful of who and what is installed as our Juliet has been installed above the maximum height of 1100mm, the measurements that should have been considered were not taken into account, see attached picture, and as the sub-contracted company who our window company engaged to do the Juliet's did not perform a full survey just a cursory visit before the windows were even installed so they screwed up big time, they insist it is compliant but our building control guy says otherwise, there are many factors that can determine where the height is measured from as shown in the picture, but with us it's from the top of the block-work immediately in front of the opening, not the frame, not the gasket both of which has been suggested, either way it's too high even though it may be only 60mm.

Juliet_Balcony_Glass_&_Window_26_(compressed).pdf 2.32 MB · 15 downloads

Thanks for reply.

I'm a little confused with your reply, surly the 1100mm is the minimum height for the Juliet balcony not the maximum. How can it be too high or are they referring to height of the base?

1 hour ago, GaryM said:

Thanks for reply.

I'm a little confused with your reply, surly the 1100mm is the minimum height for the Juliet balcony not the maximum. How can it be too high or are they referring to height of the base?

In this instance it's the maximum height as the opening is also a fire escape a fact which is referenced earlier in this thread so you may not have seen it. 

If a habitable room above ground floor level requires an external window/door for escape purposes, the bottom of the opening should not exceed 1.1m above internal floor level. If a Juliet balcony is in addition to a room already providing an escape window, the balcony can be as high as you want. It could not be lower due to health and safety.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

1260mm is the height, from your photo, that i think i would be considering when looking at a fire escape. IMO i think that the top of the glass would need to be 1100mm from the top of the step, as i would consider that to be the floor level. Can anybody see a reason why that would not be right ?