removing chimney flue on one floor

Al in nl

Hi,

Been asked to remove a chimney while renovating a house. Top floor (3rd floor) will be straightforward we think. But the owner does not want it removed from 1st floor, and does from ground floor. Chimney seems to be brick all way up. Circa 1900 town house. Any tips on ground floor? 

I expect you'll need structural engineer and building control input for support of the remaining brickwork. 

If it's semi detached, need to have a look at what the neighbours chimney is doing because that'll affect what you need to do. 

If possible I think it's a lot better to completely remove a chimney - removes an ongoing liability from the roof! 

1 hour ago, George said:

I expect you'll need structural engineer and building control input for support of the remaining brickwork. 

If it's semi detached, need to have a look at what the neighbours chimney is doing because that'll affect what you need to do. 

If it is a terrace house or on the attached side of a detached house, you'll also need to serve a party wall notice before removing any part of the chimney breast.

• Like 1

The chimney usually has to stay as it is an important element in supporting the building.

If taking out a section, then the remainder above has to be supported. This is a standard procedure and there are special brackets to fix to support the brickwork above,

It absolutely needs an Engineer, Building Control, and a decent builder (general, or bricklaying should do)

86261_P&$prodImageMedium$

On 22/10/2021 at 17:28, Al in nl said:

Hi,

Been asked to remove a chimney while renovating a house. Top floor (3rd floor) will be straightforward we think. But the owner does not want it removed from 1st floor, and does from ground floor. Chimney seems to be brick all way up. Circa 1900 town house. Any tips on ground floor? 

Northern Ireland or Netherlands?

4 hours ago, saveasteading said:

The chimney usually has to stay as it is an important element in supporting the building.

If taking out a section, then the remainder above has to be supported. This is a standard procedure and there are special brackets to fix to support the brickwork above,

It absolutely needs an Engineer, Building Control, and a decent builder (general, or bricklaying should do)

86261_P&$prodImageMedium$

I'm pretty sure this method is no longer allowed in England.

That pic was from screwfix today . I used one about 4 years ago, because previous owners had left the chimney sitting on the ceiling. ie just removed up to the attic, and a new patch of ceiling in its place and a couple of wedges under the bricks. Building Inspector fine with it, but perhaps as changed.

I think if the Engineer says that is ok then is ok.

Best to leave the chimney breast in I say, and put some flowers or wine rack in the fireplace.

You can't use gallow brackets if the neighbour has removed their chimney. 

I'd be uncomfortable using them if it's a part removal, too (as in, one floor remains and chimney is removed above and below, as in this case).