Tread fixings

Pocster

Cracking on with these external stairs .

The steps etc are all steel . The tread is this stuff . They supply self drilling screws to attach it from underneath. But they don’t bite as well as I’d like . What I really want to do is fix down through the composite tread into the steel - just at the edges of each tread . So a shallow bolt head would be fine . What should I use though ??

8B2952D2-6558-418D-A9DE-EA8FB269E371.jpeg

2BFA9225-40AC-4EBB-A919-430A4592A85F.jpeg

5CBA8B7C-3628-4BBE-8D77-5C9F48821C27.jpeg

Edited by pocster

25 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Yeah I thought about that . But if they get damaged and need to come up ….

I could just drill a hole through tread and steel then nut and bolt . But it’s a pita trying to tighten the nut when you can’t reach the bolt . No friends syndrome again ??

Edited by pocster

Of all the things I've tried for fixing to steel, the best by far have been concrete screws. The hardened steel cuts a really good thread and the screws stick better than anything else. Probably overkill for this case tho.

32 minutes ago, Conor said:

Of all the things I've tried for fixing to steel, the best by far have been concrete screws. The hardened steel cuts a really good thread and the screws stick better than anything else. Probably overkill for this case tho.

Really , concrete screws ? . Overkill maybe ; but if it makes a rock solid fixing I’d be happy .