Velux owners 2g v 3g

Makeitstop

Hi all,

Can those with either 2g or 3g velux products share their opinions of them, good and bad.

I am looking to use their modular skylights for a kitchen extension and am wondering if there is significant enough gain in 3g. I'm not seeking super u value performance as much as feeling curious on the noise from rain / hail. Happy to have the better u vale too of course, but it's not my primary consideration

Any opinions welcome

Edited by Makeitstop

I have 3 off. Triple glazed windows in my extension.

Good for noise reduction too when the rains pounding against the glass.

double glazed bereco windows elsewhere

went for the pre finished white on the inside.

no issues 3 years and counting 

We've got 4 x smallish top-hung velux in our bedroom.  I couldn't justify the extra cost for 3g (the rest of the house is 3g), so got the 2g 'comfort' glazing as the best thermal/soundproofing/cost compromise.  I've nothing to compare them to, but no regrets 3.5 yrs in.

Ignoring the acoustic advantage, personally it's getting to the stage where I think double glazed anything should be banned. The climate crisis we're all in, the carbon taxes and phasing out of fossil fuels over the next few years are all going to make a few euro saving during construction very expensive long term. That rooflight will be there for 20-30 years at least.

Unless it's a protected building where space is limited or you're trying to reuse original sash frames, etc. I think a carbon tax on single or poor double glazing that don't reach a certain performance should be applied. I can understand developers looking to cut costs but homeowners should be looking more long term.

End rant

• Like 2

I had the 2g / 3g debate and decided on 2g as the heat loss difference was tiny.  If I could wind the clock back, I would have chosen 3g.  The 2g en-suite window is the only window in the house that gets any condensation.  Not a lot, just a little around the edges, but for that reason wish I had spent the extra on 3g

• Like 2

I’ve got triple glazed Velux windows. They are not small windows and top hung. They are noticeably heavy and difficulty to lift in top hung mode - to the point where we use them in central opening mode but that means we need to keep the vent bar open. 

I’ve not encountered Veluxes before so can’t compare to the 2g option

Edited by Hilldes
Typo
  • Like 1

These are great replies. Thanks folks.

As Tony T says, it's the sound deadening benefit I am considering most, but as Prodvae says, the extra protection against condensation would be handy too, especially on glazing stuck in a kitchen ceiling. 

@ Roundtuit, for what I'm looking at, the diff for 3g over 2g only works out at maybe £300, on a product costing a few £k, so I think maybe it may be worth it.

Dudda, this is for a kitchen extension, and while I appreciate the thinking behind using 3g, the rest of my house is 2g PVC. Going 3g in that space alone would be arguably an odd choice I feel. I dont intend using 3g for a sliding door I plan using, so my thinking is heat insulation comes lower on the list than soundproofing (and condensation perhaps as mentioned above)

It's a fairly new house and  doesn't suffer cold / damp like many older houses, heat / sound insulation can always be better I know 

Is there actually much difference in the u-value, and how much heat would 3g save over 2g? It may be negligible.

I have 4 2g ones in my house, including a coupe of big ones.

The only sound problem I have noticed is the conker tree dropping conkers on the ones above my late mum's bed.

If you think in energy terms, it may be more beneficial to spend the difference elsewhere.

One thing i have found useful is the velux extendy-window-pole.

Ferdinand

I doubt most will be able to compare as they will have gone one way or the other.  Myself I have 9 x 3g electric ones and 100% think it was the right route - mainly a consideration due to inaccessibility but now I have them, worth the small premium plus you can get the electric blackout blinds for only about £100/window.  Combine this with Apple HomeKit automation and you have a happy Andy :)  Blinds open/close based on sunsrise (with offset as you wish), etc...  Plus electric windows close if it rains and you forgot they were open... that in itself makes it worth the premium!

+1 on the electric Integra blinds. We have 4, both in vaulted ceilings and 6 years on they are still working flawlessly. We went for the external blinds and they are very effective at blocking solar gain. We added the same blinds to two manual Velux as you just need an add on driver to integrate them into the touch screen controls.

20 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Is there actually much difference in the u-value, and how much heat would 3g save over 2g? It may be negligible.

I have 4 2g ones in my house, including a coupe of big ones.

The only sound problem I have noticed is the conker tree dropping conkers on the ones above my late mum's bed.

If you think in energy terms, it may be more beneficial to spend the difference elsewhere.

One thing i have found useful is the velux extendy-window-pole.

@ Ferdinand... I'm not so concerned about the u value gain, although I'd be happy to have it, along with the increased soundproofing and reduction in condensation risk. Also, on the modular system, the openers are electric, so no need for manual effort at all.

Andy.... that's good to hear / read. How long ago did you get these installed?

As I mentioned above, these would be electric powered, and as you pointed out, the fact they are out of easy reach makes that seem like a sound choice. I also like the idea of the rain sensor. They do sound like a great solution, but a pricey one, granted. Is that right the blinds cost approx £100 per panel? Can you share what size these are? The ones I am considering are likely to be 1000mm by 1200mm per panel, in a bank of several of the same dimension in a longer run.

10 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

+1 on the electric Integra blinds. We have 4, both in vaulted ceilings and 6 years on they are still working flawlessly. We went for the external blinds and they are very effective at blocking solar gain. We added the same blinds to two manual Velux as you just need an add on driver to integrate them into the touch screen controls.

I've read comments you've made before Bitpipe and it's reassuring to know they have been reliable.

Can you comment on the blind cost?

My space has a north aspect, so less likely to suffer much by way of solar gain / glare..... I think

1 hour ago, Makeitstop said:

I've read comments you've made before Bitpipe and it's reassuring to know they have been reliable.

Can you comment on the blind cost?

My space has a north aspect, so less likely to suffer much by way of solar gain / glare..... I think

The external shutters seem to have gone up in cost a bit since 2016 (https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/browse/roof-blinds/velux-roller-shutters.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8IC7_5Xc8wIVAe_tCh2FnQanEAAYASAAEgLkw_D_BwE) but if you have the integra windows they just plug in as there is a dc port available, also share the wifi controller so pop up on the touch pad automatically. Roofer fitted them, had not done them before but said it wasn't too fiddly.

They're ideal for south or east facing windows, we have a few accessible large west facing velux and we just went with manual internal blackout blinds for those and they work fine.

On 21/10/2021 at 18:40, Makeitstop said:

Andy.... that's good to hear / read. How long ago did you get these installed?

As I mentioned above, these would be electric powered, and as you pointed out, the fact they are out of easy reach makes that seem like a sound choice. I also like the idea of the rain sensor. They do sound like a great solution, but a pricey one, granted. Is that right the blinds cost approx £100 per panel? Can you share what size these are? The ones I am considering are likely to be 1000mm by 1200mm per panel, in a bank of several of the same dimension in a longer run.

I installed them last year - and those 3G panes are pretty damn heavy on the SK06 I tell you!  Sizes range are 780x980 (MK04), 790z1180 (MK06) and 1140x1180 (SK06).

Here's an example of an SK06:

Window - GGL SK06 - £646 exc VAT

Blind - DML SK06 - £120 exc VAT

No brainer if you ask me :)

On 20/10/2021 at 22:05, Hilldes said:

I’ve got triple glazed Velux windows. They are not small windows and top hung. They are noticeably heavy and difficulty to lift in top hung mode - to the point where we use them in central opening mode but that means we need to keep the vent bar open. 

I’ve not encountered Veluxes before so can’t compare to the 2g option

Is the soft close/hold open bit properly engaged? Do they stay open when used as too hung?

I fitted a row of electric ones for a customer and he could Open/ close them all together by iPhone or in series one after the other which looked awesome!

I like the sound of external blinds :) 

8 hours ago, DragsterDriver said:

Is the soft close/hold open bit properly engaged? Do they stay open when used as too hung?

I’m hoping they do have a latching function in top hung mode but haven’t yet figured out how to engage it. Right now they’d need supporting with a stick to stay open in top hung.

2 hours ago, Hilldes said:

I’m hoping they do have a latching function in top hung mode but haven’t yet figured out how to engage it. Right now they’d need supporting with a stick to stay open in top hung.

Ok- not been fitted correctly springs not engaged :)

Watch this from 22 minutes 

Thanks for the link to the vid @DragsterDriver - I actually watched this series when installing, but did not get to this part. Hopefully it can be set after install. Edit: all you have to do is lift the window fully in top hung mode and the springs engage. No need to adjust from factory spring setting if a roof has a high-ish pitch - ours is 48 degrees. Will try later.

Great videos by the way for anyone doing a self install. The videos linked from QR codes on the installation manuals are no where near as comprehensive.

P.S. I found it interesting that in the videos, they fit a very small and light window - quite different with a large 3g Velux. It took four of us to lift and fit the sashes.

Edited by Hilldes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hilldes said:

Thanks for the link to the vid @DragsterDriver - I actually watched this series when installing, but did not get to this part. Hopefully it can be set after install. Edit: all you have to do is lift the window fully in top hung mode and the springs engage. No need to adjust from factory spring setting if a roof has a high-ish pitch - ours is 48 degrees. Will try later.

Great videos by the way for anyone doing a self install. The videos linked from QR codes on the installation manuals are no where near as comprehensive.

P.S. I found it interesting that in the videos, they fit a very small and light window - quite different with a large 3g Velux. It took four of us to lift and fit the sashes.

steep pitch is ideal! 

yep, lots of weetabix and help should do it- will work like a dream afterwards :)