PRV locations options for more pressure

Adam2

I understand the usual config is having a PRV before the UVC to take mains down to 3 or 3.5 bar. My UVC will be 2 floors below main bathrooms so will lose about 10m of head by the time hot water comes out of the shower so I was wondering if it is possible to have higher pressure UVCs (googled but no joy) say 5 bar with a PRV installed on the UVC output for local h/w at 3 bar and a separate output to the top floor with a PRV up there at 3 bar to maximise the shower experience ?

I'll get around to actually measuring the mains soon enough and find I only have 2 bar probably ?

This only works if your incoming dynamic pressure (ie. With outlets open, rather than static/no flow) exceeds 3 bar / 3.5 bar. The prv will always maintain the pressure it is set at (but not exceed it). So yes - if you have > 3 bar at your upstairs shower with the shower running, you'll get that extra pressure by having the pressure maintained 2 stories up. 

Have you measured the dynamic pressure at 2 stories up with outlets open? I'd be surprised if it exceeds 3 bar (though, it's not impossible). 

Edited by fezster

I think we should do a test and use some of our 28mm pipe and connect into the meter and see what we get at the plant room and also at the top floor so we make the best plans we can (using a couple of outlets so we can see dynamic pressure)