Help the eejet: stove door.

zoothorn

17 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

metals warp with heat, it's what they do. But a stove that's uncontrollable is obviously getting air from somewhere it shouldn't.  Are there any "fixed" apertures with screw adjustment? Is there a thermostat and has it's calibration been checked? Does the door need a new rope?

Understood entirely dpm. Its been the same with new rope fitted before, now Im changing it it won't be different. Air seems to be getting in but where is a mystery really.

The design does have some strange hole and pan thing, on the far back at bottom, like a plate that opens/ shuts onto a round 3" hole.. with an up/ down lever. But the design so hopeless often it doesn't close perfectly flat, so, Ive dispensed with this air intake by keeping closed& a weight keeping it shut/ never use the lever. Ruling this out.

Instead of this strange hole, I just open the ash pan door ( only ever on my innitial start burn, to get it up to my 300*F fig.. then shut it). Plus the sliding 5" or so plate open back of firebox: i think everyone one has this, plus the ash door, plus some slidy front button ( i can see only pushes coldair onto the fire... so seems nothing but useless to me/ kept closed). I hate the thing!

The basics of a stove are for burning coal you want air in at the bottom, often referred to as primary air.  For burning wood you want air in at the top of the fire box, often referred to as secondary air.

At our last house, the stove got a crack in the glass that gradually spread, until a little corner of the glass broke off.  This meant there was an extra hole in the door, very close to one of the secondary air vents.  You would have thought this extra hole meant there was too much secondary air that you could not shut down and the stove would be uncontrollable.  But strangely it had the opposite effect and the stove became very much under fired and hard to burn.  Solved of course by a new glass for the door.

@ProDave I still can't understand the inevitable holes in the grate waggler thing, & at the horizontal bar use use to open close the throat plate thing back of stove. Both would be bigger than your small glass crack. But never taken into account.

My air thing into the top of fire, i assume you mean the front slidy control knob sbove the glass, for me if i open it.. the temp drops. I can understand this only by way of cold air coming in & heading for the flue, lowering the temp. Actually i dont understand this control at all.. because its said in general that if you open it, its meant to - increase- the temp. Mine does the total opposite, so I never use it.