External front door

Bryera

Hay guys looking at changing my front door to something more modern and composite is coming up a lot and am looking about £1200 to £1500 I been tolled but my worries with this is they will take everything out and fit to the stone work I have and am worried there's a good chance it could get damaged or could damaged all the windows around it. One company don't even know if it was possible to be done? On something like this would the recommendation be getting a wooden modern door or best still to keep looking for composite and PVC frame? It's more how they will secure it and any damage with putting it in I am worried about can anyone shed some light on this ?IMG20211013185537.thumb.jpg.ffcf0cf82f0191b6b938d41ae37d4562.jpg  

Edited by Bryera

I think the glazing and stonework around the door looks beautiful. I'd have little faith in any modern window or door company keeping that looking as good as it is. I think I'd be looking for a good joiner to make and fit a new timber door. Please don't go anywhere near PVC. The PVC window on the right doesn't look great and a PVC door with that ornate stone and glazing would look worse.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dudda said:

I think the glazing and stonework around the door looks beautiful. I'd have little faith in any modern window or door company keeping that looking as good as it is. I think I'd be looking for a good joiner to make and fit a new timber door. Please don't go anywhere near PVC. The PVC window on the right doesn't look great and a PVC door with that ornate stone and glazing would look worse.

That’s the best advice you will get. Retain the existing front door, redecorate the door and possibly think about some new brass period door furniture. You may even think about a stained glass panel in the door but if the glass is original it should be kept.

Off-topic, but I do love the implied idea of a non-external front door.

"Bugger, Mary, I'm still in the house."

?

On topic, might it be worth a look at an appropiately designed upvc or composite door. They can look OK on older houses if simple and sympathetic -- stuckon 'leaded glazing' patterns would not work aesthetically.

That frame and stone is beautiful. You could get a very nice door made for £1200, and that would be more in keeping and you could get a new one with a smaller double glazed unit that will be more thermally efficient.