Drying out

Barryscotland

We are now finally properly wind and watertight but have a fair bit of wet timber internally mainly due to the joiners going nuts with the staple gun when fitting the roof membrane. Is it possible/ necessary to dry out the inside before the joiners come back to start putting up the plasterboard? Open all the windows and fire up a space heater for a day?

As an LL I have a couple of industrial dehumidifiers in case a T causes a water leak.

I recommend this model (or two of this model) as manageable, rather than the toy ones you get from B&Q. Hiring is *&^%$ expensive.

I have a bigger one too but it weighs 60kg. *That* costs £1000+ new. 

It will help your plaster dry later in your build, and you will get most of your money back at the end when you sell it. If doing a big job stick a heater in there to get the temperature up, as that makes a huge difference.

Put it a couple of feet off the ground so you can run the drain to a soft bucket or similar. And check it at least daily.

https://www.dehumidifiersuk.com/brolin-br40c-damp-buster-heavy-duty-40-litre-portable-commercial-dehumidifier-built-in-uk.html

Bang on Peter.

To dry it out in best way if you are short on time is to use a dehumidfier at night when the place is locked up, during the day get the wind blowing through it. Try to avoid drying the timber too fast as it will contort. Some will dry too much and some hardly at all. Fresh air is your friend!

1 hour ago, ToughButterCup said:

And the weather forecast for you is .... (I suspect) cold northerlies for a bit: no energy in the air.  Dehumdify then. 

Dry but not much sun for rest of week.

48 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Do you not have to first fix plumbing and electrical 

if so that’s a months worth of work, should all dry by then. 

My experience with rushing to get it boarded is you will get more cracking, I would not be in a rush to board it at all. 

we do but joiners want to get the ceilings up and apparently there is some plasterboard that needs to go on the walls before rest of the partitions can go up.