What's buried in your build?

Boarders working flat out this week, I had to quickly finish off some ventilation. Packing up this evening noticed a couple things missing...

Rechargeable work light, silicon gun and PZ2 bit and holder now boarded up in vaulted ceiling forever.

I'm sure I'm not the first to do this....

• Haha 1

All of my renovations done previously contain a tupperware box, usually within a stud wall. The boxes contain a small toy. Usually a teddy. A family photo, and a note with the date, and a bit about the family, and the renovation. One of them also contains a hammer, and several tape measures.

When I was a young builder we converted an old telephone exchange. The client had stored stuff in the main switchboard room, (was a massive space) and covered it up with a tarpaulin. Client then went to Australia for three months. On return client expressed delight at the progress of the works..

But.. noted that there was stored under tarpaulin are substancial lawn tractor which would now not  fit out through the new door openings. Fortunately one of the guys was a Farmer and knew how to take it apart.

1 hour ago, Conor said:

Rechargeable work light, silicon gun and PZ2 bit and holder now boarded up in vaulted ceiling forever.

I'm sure I'm not the first to do this....

Look at the other side of this story to things you've *found* inside the building fabric...

In my case my best has been what appeared to be a child's 'code book' inside a lathe and plaster partition wall. It had the date 1950 and name 'R Cook' on the front and I happened to mention it in casual conversation with our elderly neighbours and they said 'ah yes, good old Roger' whilst looking at me like I knew who they meant.... It only goes and turns out that it was Roger Cook, a singer songwriter (not the investigative reporter that had run-ins with triads!) responsible for the 'Id Like to Teach the World to Sing' song that Coke used as their anthem and numerous other hits by the likes of Cilla Black, Cliff Richard etc. Roger was born and raised in the house and must've hid/lost that book inside the wall as it was being built. Apparently despite Roger's subsequent wealth his mum stayed living in that modest family terrace for practically her whole life, and he'd deliver coal to her in his Rolls Royce quite regularly. The house meant a lot to the family and he even wrote a song about it (which mention the neighbours by name!). Just to add even more to the bizarre history, the neighbour also casually mentioned that whenever Elton John used to perform in Bristol he'd sleep on Roger's couch in that house rather than pay out for a hotel!

IMG_0547.jpg

Edited by MJNewton
  • Like 1

I worked on an old listed warehouse. It was a distillery, linen factory and even made ammunition shells during the war. 

Was afraid of finding unexploded shells. Instead found loads of asbestos someone had buried which was probably a bigger headache.

One length of cavity wall has 2 spirit levels somewhere. One quite used and one almost brand new that replaced the former and only lasted a couple of days in use. To this day the most bemusing is how I managed to bury a pair of metal roofing shears somewhere in the roof.

Also 'lost' in the building:

At what stage does graffiti become history? 

It has always been a delight to come across the proud script under a floor board  of a joiner who built the floor 150 years ago, or a lad from the village making his mark in a barn, or the farm-hands writing each years sheep numbers up on the handy barn door.

Or a newspaper under the stair.

Must remember to place a time capsule in our project. But what will be interesting in 100 years?

17 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Also 'lost' in the building:

At what stage does graffiti become history? 

It has always been a delight to come across the proud script under a floor board  of a joiner who built the floor 150 years ago, or a lad from the village making his mark in a barn, or the farm-hands writing each years sheep numbers up on the handy barn door.

Or a newspaper under the stair.

Must remember to place a time capsule in our project. But what will be interesting in 100 years?

My brickie has the misfortune to be a West Ham fan so there are crossed hammers all over the place the prick.

I am a Spurs fan......  Going to be some shite flying between us come this weekend!

There are also a large number of abusive messages written in the basest language possible between the trades, me and pretty much everyone on them walls. I imaging in the years to come my Mrs will see me stare at a patch of wall and smile and think I am going mad!

Can't say things are great at Spurs atm but you Gooners must be tearing your hair out.  £140m spend - but on what?  I do sometimes go to AFTV for a laugh and they pull few punches!

we put a time capsule made by the kids in this extension and we are going to do one with our grandson in the new build.

Over the years we've found many newspapers, grafitt and lots of cloths under the floor in a house we were renovating.

Not sure what we've lost, won't know until we look for things.

We did view a house for auction once, completely empty except for a gorgeous circular walnut table that sat 12 people which couldn't be removed.  Makes me wonder how they got it in there in the fist place.