Velux sun tunnel noisy in rain etc?

Dan1983

Evening all.

Our new new build has no window for the upstairs landing.

This was not an issue for me but builder mentioned a velux sun tunnel (flush type for slate) to the wife and now she wants one.

Could I please ask if they transmit much noise in rainfall like a normal velux window does?

Just thinking that type of noise may bug us at night.

Many thanks for any info

Don't know! But as the tube is fairly flexible you would expect that it should dampen the sound? You could also wrap the outside of the tube in glass wool to change the natural frequency and thus tendency to amplify the sound? Also, you have another cover at ceiling level, again which should help to reduce noise transmission.

Alternatively is it just you that may be buged or both of you?.. great to lie in bed in a warm house and listen to the weather outside when it's wild.

I think because of the run we may need to go rigid tube.

I don’t really want it but wife is paranoid about hall and landing being dim like our old bungalow.

We have windows either side of the entrance door and a window in the door so it will be fine.

Was hoping that light would radiate up the stairs.

Then use the simple man fix of leaving bathroom door open for natural light on the landing!

I don’t mind the noise, but my wife’s parents live in a dorma bungalow with velux windows so she is comparing it to that.

Hi Dan1983

I would always opt for a bright hall. Some plus points below.

1/ It's the first thing you and visitors see when you get home.

2/ If it's your forever home then as your eyes dim then good diffuse light helps a lot.

3/ You may want to sell and a dark hall can put some folk off a house as soon as they walk in the door.

4/ Lighting stairs is really important not just for safety but can accentuate features of a well designed and attractive stair.

If would try if you can to get as much light in as you can, if the tunnel is noisy.. you will need good hearing for it to bug on a regular basis then stuff a pillow in it when you get the heavy rain showers in the autumn and spring with a bit of hail stones. You'll need to be able to access the tunnel from time to time as spiders always seem to find some way to get in.

Of course light tunnels are not that cheep once you add in all the bits and bobs.

Good to hear you are making progress.

Go for the light, don't like the sound then use a pillow! Much more expensive to retro fit and the disruption it causes to the tile work. My gut feeling is that you won't regret it.. oh and the romance of the rain / hail/  nasty weather when tucked up in bed (Barbara Cartland (9 July 1901 – 21 May 2000 ) I think.