ASHP - RHI replacement, clean heat grant - £5,000?

Andehh

More detail was due today, as part of the Heat in Buildings Strategy statement, but normal Commons business has been postponed due to the death of the Leigh-on-Sea MP.

The Statement may now go ahead tomorrow.

£4k for ASHP was the initial claim, but the briefing is suggesting that has been talked up to £5K. But, the pool of money is very small, again briefing suggests around 80,000 installs. If that's the case it will be gone in under 2 years and there will likely be some filtering to who it is available to.

The briefings also suggests the ASHP install will be reduced to the price of a gas replacement in around 2 years, which is rubbish, but may be used to justify the low budget.

Edited to add:

Incentives may well be dropped for new builds since Building Regs next year will be start to level the costs of Gas v. ASHP

Edited by IanR

I haven't been able to find whether it this grant will only be available for people swapping a gas boiler for a heat pump. I don't have a gas boiler, in fact I don't have central heating at all, just a combination of electric underfloor and electric storage heating, plus electric immersion water heater. Obviously this is very costly to run, but a grant would make switching to ASHP much more affordable. I suspect though that if I am not scrapping a boiler I won't be eligible?

22 minutes ago, Bob77 said:

I haven't been able to find whether it this grant will only be available for people swapping a gas boiler for a heat pump. I don't have a gas boiler, in fact I don't have central heating at all, just a combination of electric underfloor and electric storage heating, plus electric immersion water heater. Obviously this is very costly to run, but a grant would make switching to ASHP much more affordable. I suspect though that if I am not scrapping a boiler I won't be eligible?

You'd be eligible for RHI now, if you can get the ASHP installed and commissioned before the scheme closes 30.03.2022.

Otherwise you need to wait for the details of this new grant that will replace the RHI scheme in April next year. While it may not cover new builds, I would have thought it would cover your situation, but only the detail will tell.

Edited by IanR

36 minutes ago, IanR said:

You'd be eligible for RHI now, if you can get the ASHP installed and commissioned before the scheme closes 30.03.2022.

Otherwise you need to wait for the details of this new grant that will replace the RHI scheme in April next year. While it may not cover new builds, I would have thought it would cover your situation, but only the detail will tell.

Unfortunately that's not really going to be possible, as I want to replace the heating system as part of a more significant remodelling including an extension, and I have only just starting getting drawings done for that, so it will probably be March or April before work begins.