Attempt at a sustainable bungalow - yikes!

CambsBees

Hi everyone - we are just about to begin our journey of self-building. We have done extensions before but this is the first time where we’ve decided to get a plot and do the whole thing ourselves!!! As this should be a forever home, we are hoping for a sustainable bungalow at the end of it (not necessarily a Passive House but would like to get as close to it as possible).

Definitely feeling quite anxious about all the upcoming challenges, having read some of the posts but hopeful that the community here will help and support - got a feeling that we will be posting a lot! 

Hi and Welcome.

Have you identified your plot yet?

Don't be daunted by PassivHaus energy loss targets, if that's your aim from the outset, and you let it guide/inform your build process choice, it's not difficult to achieve.

Welcome.  We are just getting to the end of our self build, like you I wanted to do as much as possible myself.  I used Durisol blocks for the walls, easy to work with and good insulation values without additional insulation.  Our house has a 70m perimeter and wall height at rear is 2.5m and front around 4m.  Took two of us 4 weeks to complete the walls, having never used them before.

Plan as much as possible before you start. Will make your life easier when it come to construction time.