Garage - LDC

DK1UK

Hi, hoping for some guidance on a garage please.

I’m looking for some guidance on a LDC for a garage. Its a detached garage in an AONB and Green Belt. It’s also huge! About 950 square feet and I’d say a metre or two from the property boundary. The plot is quite big so whilst a it’s a large structure it doesn’t look overly dominant.

If there is no planning permission for it, I’m assuming that I could get LDC for it, it’s easily 20 years old?

The question though, partly given that it’s in green belt land, is whether (after getting a LDC), I could be prevented from making reasonable alterations (like a new roof), on the basis that permission wasn’t for its original construction?  

I think that green belt policy would have prevented its construction due to its scale. Would a LDC protect me from green belt policy too?

many thanks.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings

If the outbuilding complies with all of the above, then you could claim it’s lawful on the basis of complying with PD. Otherwise, claim it’s lawful on the basis of it being completed for at least four years of which you would need to provide evidence.

Edited by DevilDamo

Thanks DevilDamo. It’s on designated land and the angle of the garage to the house means that in part, it’s on the side of the house. Interestingly if it look at the ordnance survey maps, it shows as not being to the side, but google maps shows it is.

If it doesn’t meet the requirements in the link that you’ve sent, how do I prove that it’s been compete for four years? On Google Earth, you can look at historical map images which show that it was there in 1999. I could also ask the existing house owner to swear to it’s existence. And I could ask a surveyor to roughly age the building. Would those three pieces or evidence suffice?

Many thanks 

You must prove the the time limits have been exceeded. This might be rental agreements, council tax, invoices from the works, dated photographs, leases, electoral roll, utility bills, accounts, etc… Obviously, the more evidence you have the better.

Historical maps via Google Earth in my opinion should be good enough.