Loft Conversion - Moving Stairwell

DK1UK

Hi, looking for a bit of guidance if possible.

I’m looking at a house that’s had the loft converted. The conversion looks over 10 years old minimum.

The house is in designated land (AONB) and Green Belt.  As far as I know, if you wanted a conversion in designated land today, you’d need PP.  If there is no PP in place then am I right in thinking that I could get a LDC since the work is over 4 years old?

In terms of building regs, the stairwell walks up into a restricted head-height area, no way it would get signed off today. Again, I’m assuming there would be no enforcement since it’s over 2 years old.

HOWEVER, if I wanted to move the stairwell to make it more convenient to enter the loft, would I open myself up to more than just the building regs for the stairwell? Would building control want to examine the whole loft conversion?

many thanks.

1 hour ago, DevilDamo said:

A loft conversion within Article 2(3) designated land that does ‘not’ include a dormer would not require Planning.

In re-locating the stair would tigger BR’s for the complete works.

But you would probably get away with not notifying them. It would be a breach, but how would they know?

If this is something you are considering buying, make your offer conditional on the seller getting the LDC. Much easier for them to do than for you to do as they will have receipts and other paperwork to prove how old the building works are.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DevilDamo said:

Until there is a fire. 

Not sure I follow. Is your logic that if there was a fire there would be an investigation and you could get in trouble for not having building regs? If you are the landlord of the property, but not the occupier, I agree that is a legitimate concern. Otherwise, I’m less sure.

A Building Regulations application will be required for the works irrespective of when it was carried out. It’s called unauthorised works and it always comes out in the wash. Don’t hide it - get proper advice from your local BCO.

• Thanks 1

If any works are carried out without the relevant approvals, then that will of course open you up to issues in the future, especially the health and safety of those that reside and use dwellings. Say goodbye to any sort of insurances should the worst happen.

• Thanks 1