Ground heating project

Kevin Lotzof

We are in the process of renovating an old farmhouse and adjoining barn, piggery and stable block converting it all into living accommodation. In all the floor space is about 7000sqft. We were thinking of installing ground heating to heat the property. We have a dam on the property which is approx. 67m x 37m in size with depths between 1-2m

My questions are

1) Is the dam big enough to provide the piping required for the heating.

2) How much should a project like this cost?

8 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Hi. Have you the necessary permissions for abstraction?

Didn't realise you required a licence to abstract heat from your water on your property, assuming a closed loop ground source heat pump system!

1 hour ago, Kevin Lotzof said:

67m x 37m in size with depths between 1-2m

That will be around 3700 m3 of water.

Taking a worse case scenario of the water being at 4°C, and allowing for a 2°C drop in temperature i.e. taking out half the energy, That will be about 15.5 GJ.

So about 4.3 MWh, so quite a lot, just a little lower than the total energy required by my house for a year (but I have a stupidly small house).

How is this pond refilled?

52 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Taking a worse case scenario of the water being at 4°C, and allowing for a 2°C drop in temperature i.e. taking out half the energy,

But you know reducing water from 4C to 2C does not take out "half its energy"

If the water is cooled by 2 deg it is then heated again by the ground underneath, perhaps some nice rotting going on at the bottom, and the inflow of water (dam not pond)

4 deg is going to be midwinter, so really is a worst case, and don't they quote heat exchangers down to -35C?

In summer it will recharge  to say 20C.

Sounds like a good idea, especially if there is a significant flow of water,  but I can't do the sums for it.

20 hours ago, Marvin said:

Didn't realise you required a licence to abstract heat from your water on your property, assuming a closed loop ground source heat pump system!

It’s mentioned as a dam. Therefore flowing water, not a stagnant lake or pond etc. Flowing water = abstraction license afaik as you’re affecting the downstream ‘condition’ of the water. Further reducing temps in winter can have adverse affects on nature / pond life etc so best to check ( at least ) before going down this route. 

Edited by Nickfromwales
Small phone and big thumbs.
  • Like 1