Tile hanging to timber frame - minimum battening requirements

Haylingbilly

I am covering my timber frame with tile hanging on the first floor and render on the ground floor. I want to get the tiles as close to the face of the timber frame as permitted by building control. I believe the standard detail is to batten and counter batten with 25x38mm battens. This will mean the inner face of the tiles are 50mm off the timber frame - is there any way to reduce this without falling foul of building control?

why so keen to get tiles so close?

and surely using only one baton will mean you end up with ledges for water and general dust and crap to gather up on  as there will be no route from top to bottom for anything to pass

I know my house roof was done without cross batons and 20 years on the amount of rubbish that had gathered up on top side of batons was huge-and  was damp half the year  which could cause baton rot ?

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys, in the end I just went for batten and counter batten. The architect said I could use strips of 9mm ply as the batten if I wanted to, but in the end I relented.

With the thickness of the  batten, counter batten and tiles, the soffits were starting to look a bit small, but I think on reflection they are ok.