Who did you use to sent the VAT claim?

Personally I would never never use Hermes as they have such a bad reputation round here.

I sent mine by Royal Mail tracked and signed for, delivery before noon. At least it was in transit for under 24 hours. Ensure that you send it at the start of the week so that the office is properly open when it arrives. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used royal mail special delivery.

My concern was if the package went missing, there was a potential loss of many thousands of pounds.  It was impossible to insure the package for that much.  So I mitigated that risk by scanning and storing a copy of all the receipts, so if it did get lost I could re print them and re submit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, newhome said:

Royal Mail tracked and signed for

The tracking process online is very efficient, and you even see the signature at delivery. 

I don't imagine many tracked packages go missing....much too risky for thieves as the package is handled through the process. The point that it went missing would be known.

Copying has to be worth it though, even if it costs. As well as the possibility of loss, you have the full info in case of any discussion.

If there are hundreds of small (value or physically) receipts, at least copy the forms, and the big invoices.

Yes definitely Royal Mail signed for, wouldn’t trust any of the courier companies, from experience it very much depends on the individual drivers as to whether they can be bothered looking for the correct address. It may be a couple of weeks before hmrc acknowledge receipt of the paperwork but you can look online and see if they have received it with Royal Mail.

So we sent the claim with Royal Mail next day special delivery signed before 12. And now they can't guarantee its arrived ?. They don't know where it is and presume that its delivered but delivery guy didn't scan. Call HMRC and they as of yet have not processed it. They are going to refund us like thats going to help.

So now we have no idea if HMRC have it or not and now need to wait and call once a week to see if they  have it. Our deadline for the claim is tomorrow ?

We have a photocopy but god knows where this is going to go. 36K !! stressed......

• 1 month later...