We haven't the budget for Internorm, what other brands are good?

CalvinHobbes

4 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Currently 16 week wait for Rationel windows on placement of order!

My last order for the sun room earlier in the year were about 12 weeks and arrived on exactly the day they quoted when placing the order.  Considering they were now coming from a "third country" I thought that was not too bad.

21 hours ago, Makeitstop said:

Maybe your correct on that Thorfun, but surely, if they are using a show to promote a product, youd expect a business to ensure the product is showcased in pristine order, to gain as much positive exposure as possible.

I found it disappointingly difficult and no matter how efficient it may be, it would drive me nuts if I had it in my own home. 

Something wrong, lift and slides are a breeze to operate. Obviously the bigger they are, the more weight you slide but the initial inertia “may’ have been due to the soft closer.

20 hours ago, Gus Potter said:

if it is your forever home then we need the manufactures of these types of windows to step up to the plate and tell us how we can maintain them in the long term.

If you’re not you should be, the information should be supplied with in the O&M manual. 

The biggest issue from my perspective, isn’t the suppliers/manufacturers not showing or advising and if I’m completely honest.

Customers are the biggest problem.

You all want quality and as cheap as you can possibly get. 

You all want low maintenance and long warranty periods but very few and I actually literally mean no one. Is willing to pay for a service package, that allows us to attend and maintain your windows for you and as customers you’re not all doing it.

Then it becomes an issue of the supplier/manufacturer when it generally comes down to poor maintenance.

I’ll probably piss a few off with the above and not intended but it is what it is.

We’ve stopped offering service packages, as it’s a waste of our time. We’ll service your windows within the first year but after that. It’s up to you.

Unless I’m on my travels and popping in for a coffee and a catch up. Where I’ll service your windows/doors.

Edited by craig

58 minutes ago, craig said:

Something wrong, lift and slides are a breeze to operate. Obviously the bigger they are, the more weight you slide but the initial inertia “may’ have been due to the soft closer.

Yes, that was my thinking.. "something wrong".

As I mentioned previously, the Reynaers product I tried, of a similar size (maybe slightly larger in fact) moved with virtually no effort at all. It was incredibly light to shift and felt like really good solid quality. This is what I am considering using for an upcoming project, although it's not cast in stone.

The internorm door however felt difficult to the point of being irritating, even after moving it back and forth less than half a dozen times. It too felt like a really substantial quality product, but shot itself in the foot for feeling borderline unusable.

On the subject of customers wanting quality as cheaply as we can get, well yes, I guess that's nearly always true for most of us. However, most of us realise that to obtain "quality" in any product, that we usually have to pay for it. On my own choices, while I'm happy to seek discounts, or drive a deal, I'll suck it up and will pay for things I deem critical for the long term performance of essential elements of a house. Having said that, I'd not really be expecting to have to purchase any kind of service package for a window or door. I've owned enough windows and doors over the last 35+ years to know that in the main, they function perfectly well for years in end. If I am paying for a more premium product, then I'd expect at least the same kind of reliability, and wouldn't be too pleased if things stopped working after 12 months.

But yes, customers can be a pain, as I'm sure many of us will know.

2 hours ago, craig said:

If you’re not you should be, the information should be supplied with in the O&M manual. 

The biggest issue from my perspective, isn’t the suppliers/manufacturers not showing or advising and if I’m completely honest.

You all want low maintenance and long warranty periods but very few and I actually literally mean no one. Is willing to pay for a service package, that allows us to attend and maintain your windows for you and as customers you’re not all doing it.

Then it becomes an issue of the supplier/manufacturer when it generally comes down to poor maintenance.

I’ll probably piss a few off with the above and not intended but it is what it is.

We’ve stopped offering service packages, as it’s a waste of our time. We’ll service your windows within the first year but after that. It’s up to you.

Unless I’m on my travels and popping in for a coffee and a catch up. Where I’ll service your windows/doors.

I've never heard of servicing Windows. What would a service normally entail for uPVC windows for example??

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

I've never heard of servicing Windows. What would a service normally entail for uPVC windows for example??

General operation check, checking gaskets still look good, hinging oiled etc. Basically a health check.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Makeitstop said:

Having said that, I'd not really be expecting to have to purchase any kind of service package for a window or door. I've owned enough windows and doors over the last 35+ years to know that in the main, they function perfectly well for years in end.

True and it is generally with the first two years and after that settlement and user understanding has occurred.

However, you also have to be aware of manufacturers warranties and if the product is not maintained warranties can and will be voided.

On 15/10/2021 at 09:36, Declan52 said:

Most of the uPVC window companies here use Camden Windows based in Antrim for supply. You then have other companies like McMullen O'Donnell who have a very good reputation. Baskil which is Munster joinery will make you the cheapest 2g Windows. They also do a 3g future proof window passiv rated which I put in mine. 

Very few companies here do Alu clad so they charge a premium. Did you go to the self build show in Belfast to see all the displays there???

How have you found Baskil triple glazed windows?

We went with aluminium 3G from cortizo Uk manufactured. They are lovely looking design and we got a great price. However the installation was a nightmare and had to return/get fixed several of the frames. They are not 100% airtight even though they are meant to be for the big frameless sliders (tight and are fine). The word cowboys spring to mind. I’ve got them to a point I’m reasonably happy for what we paid and got but I would never recommend them.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, gc100 said:

We went with aluminium 3G from cortizo Uk manufactured. They are lovely looking design and we got a great price. However the installation was a nightmare and had to return/get fixed several of the frames. They are not 100% airtight even though they are meant to be for the big frameless sliders (tight and are fine). The word cowboys spring to mind. I’ve got them to a point I’m reasonably happy for what we paid and got but I would never recommend them.

Bugger-

is that bad installation or product?

1 minute ago, DragsterDriver said:

Bugger-

is that bad installation or product?

Bit of everything. The design on the sliders has some fundamental issues in terms of weather tightness IMO. Made for hot climates I think. Sloppy manufacturing for the Uk licensee. Sloppy installation from the installer. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DragsterDriver said:

How have you found Baskil triple glazed windows?

Have had no problems except 1 window steam up due to the seal failing. Phoned up and it was replaced 3 weeks later. Mine are in 6 years now so so far so good. At the time I made that choice for the amount I paid they where far and away the best window I could get for the money. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, craig said:

We have Rational windows and very happy with them.  In for 5 years now and look as good as new. 

Around a year after they were installed, a couple of guys from the supplier visited as they were in our area and had a quick check of everything. The biggest issue they said they normally encountered was, as you say, lack of maintenance, especially the hardware/opening mechanisms etc.  I've religiously made a point of twice a year cleaning and lubricating everything I can get to with a PTFE spray.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Declan52 said:

Have had no problems except 1 window steam up due to the seal failing. Phoned up and it was replaced 3 weeks later. Mine are in 6 years now so so far so good. At the time I made that choice for the amount I paid they where far and away the best window I could get for the money. 

That’s cool- easy to spend outrageously on windows :)