Sign in to follow this  
Happy Valley

Is a kitchen extractor a requirement for BR?

Recommended Posts

We will be having a good sized kitchen approx 20' x 18' with an island containing an induction hob. We hardly ever use the extractor fan in our current kitchen.

 

Question: Is it a Building Regulation requirement to have some form of extractor fan?

 

If they are a requirement we don't want anything hanging down from the ceiling and don't want an in built extraction hob as takes room our of storage and they are expensive (another £1000 on top of std induction hob). If they are required what ceiling based units are recommended that don't break the bank. I have seen this but it weighs 120kg!!!

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cookology-CEI1100BK-Ceiling-Island-Extractor/dp/B07HGF9M5Y/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=ceiling+extractor+fan+kitchen&pd_rd_r=3e986a9d-526c-4186-a33c-44b93dec1267&pd_rd_w=1pRax&pd_rd_wg=hQt7T&pf_rd_p=7c89f663-1851-4f5c-ad06-b2fd7b71af3e&pf_rd_r=5P80WM00SHJ3KSAF11WK&qid=1634218924&qsid=262-8854865-5889033&sr=8-5&sres=B07HKNNYSL%2CB01DAG7QWK%2CB07HGF9M5Y%2CB089QPX8QN%2CB098K3H36S%2CB01DAEZB7E%2CB08V92BLXC%2CB01CIIAI4E%2CB0813W5WRM%2CB00NOUF7V0%2CB07HC5FKY4%2CB07HMK5VGL%2CB07X9HNV2C%2CB07Q83MN1K%2CB07HN18ZSH%2CB00IUNBEI6&srpt=VENT_HOOD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it can be a fan in a wall os ceiling, slightly more powerful than a bathroom fan, whole house ventilation is very nice 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that weight load is a mistake...I would assume 12Kg is more likely.  Dont let the design draw you in -there are far better quality extractors at reasonable prices...even at B&do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I have a cooker hood that can do 30l/s

nothing else.

image.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, so being a new build we are required to extract outside. I think a cheap ceiling fan with ducting will hopefully do the job if powerful enough. Time to check the specs.

 

Something else to put through the ICF!! I hate holes in walls 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Happy Valley said:

Something else to put through the ICF!! I hate holes in walls

I assume as you are building in ICF you are trying to build a nice warm comfortable house that does not need much heat?

 

Well it WILL need ventilation.  the best way to achieve that in a well built air tight house is whole house MVHR.  Just 2 holes through the building instead of lots of uncontrolled trickle ventilation holes and various extrac ventilation holes.  Don't forget bathroom and utility room extractors needed so yet more holes through your building.  Just 2 looks very attractive.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ProDave said:

I assume as you are building in ICF you are trying to build a nice warm comfortable house that does not need much heat?

 

Well it WILL need ventilation.  the best way to achieve that in a well built air tight house is whole house MVHR.  Just 2 holes through the building instead of lots of uncontrolled trickle ventilation holes and various extrac ventilation holes.  Don't forget bathroom and utility room extractors needed so yet more holes through your building.  Just 2 looks very attractive.

 

We have provisioned for an MVHR system and already have the ducts through the necessary walls concreted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Happy Valley said:

 

We have provisioned for an MVHR system and already have the ducts through the necessary walls concreted. 

So mvhr covers your kitchen and bathroom extract requirements.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ProDave said:

So mvhr covers your kitchen and bathroom extract requirements.

 

I'll need to check the spec to ensure that they meet the BR requirements - the kitchen will need to be 60l/sec if not directly over the hob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Happy Valley said:

 

I'll need to check the spec to ensure that they meet the BR requirements - the kitchen will need to be 60l/sec if not directly over the hob

There is a different set of requirements for constantly running mvhr, I am sure it is less than 60L/min.  but that is why mvhr has a boost mode where it runs faster while showering and cooking.  In our case we have a choice of 4 speeds to run the MVHR so I have set it for the very fastest when boosted by the upstairs boost switch and one down from fastest when boosted by the kitchen boost switch.

 

In any event you don't want or need a separate extract fan for a kitchen or a bathroom when you have mvhr.

 

The Scottish regs call for 0.5 ACH continuous ventilation with mvhr and a 25 to 50% boost.  Check what the English regs say.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Check what the English regs say.

Good luck. They don't appear to be written as nicely as the Scottish regs.

 

How did you go about filtering the air extracted from the kitchen if the mvhr is doing the work?  My architect was concerned about this to the point of advising me not to put the kitchen air into the mvhr.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, dnb said:

Good luck. They don't appear to be written as nicely as the Scottish regs.

 

How did you go about filtering the air extracted from the kitchen if the mvhr is doing the work?  My architect was concerned about this to the point of advising me not to put the kitchen air into the mvhr.   

 

We are considering a recirculating fan/hood of some sort that does not vent outside. It would at least filter the worst of the steam and grease before getting to the MVHR duct.

Edited by Happy Valley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, dnb said:

Good luck. They don't appear to be written as nicely as the Scottish regs.

 

How did you go about filtering the air extracted from the kitchen if the mvhr is doing the work?  My architect was concerned about this to the point of advising me not to put the kitchen air into the mvhr.   

Recirculating cooker hood about a metre away from mvhr extract duct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Happy Valley said:

 

We are considering a recirculating fan/hood of some sort that does not vent outside. It would at least filter the worst of the steam and grease before getting to the MVHR duct.

That's what we did with the MVHR extract 1.5m away from the recirculaing cooker hood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you do a Jeremy  and put it by the door to stop smells escaping?

 

(Though for him it was one on the outside of the door in the hall iirc.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this