Bulk Cement

jayc89

One ton or a bit more of screed is an awkward quantity but I think you are still down in by-the-bag territory.

How do you propose to mix it? When considering a similar job the resident experts here strongly recommenced hiring a horizontal mixing drum. Apparently a conventional mixer does not achieve the well mixed consistency required for screeding.

Yeah it's a bit of a pain - I should have had it screeded at the same time as the rest of the house, but I had a basement and block and beam floor install to deal with first.

I have a small 240v mixer at home, but was planning on hiring one of these for the day - https://www.hirestation.co.uk/tool-hire/Concrete/Cement-Mixer-Hire/070025/ - should get the stuff mixed in a couple of loads.

57 minutes ago, jayc89 said:

I have a small 240v mixer at home, but was planning on hiring one of these for the day - https://www.hirestation.co.uk/tool-hire/Concrete/Cement-Mixer-Hire/070025/ - should get the stuff mixed in a couple of loads.

I reckon a standard 150l electric Bell would mix as fast as you can lay it. The bigger challenge is getting the right consistency. You are not pouring a thin wet concrete garage slab, unless that it you are not intending to do a classic dry screed floor.

The trick with doing any mix is not to overfill the mixer and actually let it mix. Put too much sand and cement and it will all stick to the back of the mixer and only the volume at the front mixes and it might not contain any cement as it's all stuck on the back wall of the mixer. 

When you have the volume you need shoveled in walk away for a few minutes and let it mix over and over. Don't just lash water in until it looks right and tip it out.

Why are you worrying about spending £60 on cement but then want to hire a pan mixer ?

just chuck it in the mixer you have and you have just saved the cost of the cement. 

Use your Normal mixer but put a bit of wood under the back leg on the stand, this will put the drum flatter, and mix better. 

For 1/2 a m by the time you drove to the hire shop I could have it mixed and barrowed in. 

Dont over think it. 

1 hour ago, Dave Jones said:

surely there is a volumetric wagon local to you to save all that messing about.

Access would be a problem, we'd need a pump too, which becomes expensive for such a small space.